Telescopic poles and rods

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Are telescopic every any good or is put in always better ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Telescopic "poles" are typically whips and used for a totally different style of fishing than a long pole with a short line. Whips are used with the line to hand or in other words a line almost as long as the whip itself . . . .

I did a little article some time ago on short whip fishing on here, hope it might help:

Short Whip Fishing | FishingMagic

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Telescopic "poles" are typically whips and used for a totally different style of fishing than a long pole with a short line. Whips are used with the line to hand or in other words a line almost as long as the whip itself . . . .

I did a little article some time ago on short whip fishing on here, hope it might help:

Short Whip Fishing | FishingMagic
My local canal is narrow and where I fish mostly, the deepest part the boat channel is probably only about 4/5 metres away from the bank,

I have a couple of 4 metre poles but there not elasticated and just have an eye to tie line onto, there good in the sense that I can hold them and move them in 1 hand and are easy to get the fish in, I dont have to worry about having room behind me to roll back something longer,

I've seen some 4m whips that are elasticated and telescopic and was wondering if telescopic brings problems ? Or am I better of not being elasticated at 4 metres? I'm not worried about reaching far bank as going over to the other side of the canal makes it near bank.

I hate tying on to eyes, I much prefer putting a loop onto a stonfa,

Also looking to move about up and down the canal with ease if I need to without having to move big gear.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Another option is short rods and alot seem to be telescopic although I have seen some non telescopic 6ft stalker rods I think they call them, for fishing on the move, they have 3lb test curve, i know nothing about test curves.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You say you dislike tying rigs to a loop on your whip.
No need to. If you watch this video first it shows how to tie a double loop connector usually used with Dacron connectors.

YouTube

Having tied that..

YouTube

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are telescopic every any good or is put in always better ?

Though I'm aware that it's born out of prejudice, I'd avoid a telescopic, or put in, rod or pole like the plague.

For me, rods should have either be overslide or spigot jointed. Put in rod joints (i.e. thinner section into thicker section) have rarely been seen in the last twenty years plus. I think I have an old Daiwa feeder rod somewhere that has put in joints. I've also seen some similar vintage Shimano tip rods with them.

When it comes to poles, put over joints would be my preference. Again, I'd avoid put in or telescopic poles like the plague.

I'm not much of one for whips, but I can understand why they often still use telescopic parts in those.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Though I'm aware that it's born out of prejudice, I'd avoid a telescopic, or put in, rod or pole like the plague.

For me, rods should have either be overslide or spigot jointed. Put in rod joints (i.e. thinner section into thicker section) have rarely been seen in the last twenty years plus. I think I have an old Daiwa feeder rod somewhere that has put in joints. I've also seen some similar vintage Shimano tip rods with them.

When it comes to poles, put over joints would be my preference. Again, I'd avoid put in or telescopic poles like the plague.

I'm not much of one for whips, but I can understand why they often still use telescopic parts in those.
Again really helpful thank you