Self hooking rigs ?

rich66

Reaction score
I also wondered if the hair rig itself is self hooking, I thought I’d read somewhere it was designed to catch on the bottom lip as the baits sucked in-or blown out as fish do. ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I also wondered if the hair rig itself is self hooking, I thought I’d read somewhere it was designed to catch on the bottom lip as the baits sucked in-or blown out as fish do. ?

Good question, another variation is having a small hooklength and unbaited hook on a hair ,as if an extension so in effect you are using a double hook up set up, Theory is if "main hook" ie the baited one fails to catch on lip on blow out, the unbaited one will.
Another type of self hooking rig is when joining a hooklength to main line via loop to loop method,is to use large loops This gives a more natural fall of bait and a more instant hookup o to size of loops,

sam vimes

Reaction score
I also wondered if the hair rig itself is self hooking

Not entirely. More effective than a plain hook buried in a bait, but few would consider a hair rig to be a particularly effective self hooking method unless used in conjunction with something else that improves its efficiency.

I thought I’d read somewhere it was designed to catch on the bottom lip as the baits sucked in-or blown out as fish do. ?

The mechanics of a rig intended to do this depend on more than just a hair.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Re. the "dink dink" that has been highlighted in this topic, and because I am not able to read the text on the first screenshot, is it designed for deep waters only? Would I try it on a 2-4 ft deep stream?