Drennan Twin Tip Duo: 2 sessions, 2 tips broken

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Cheers fellas I understand now, I use guru feeders but not the elasticated x safe system as many of the venues I fish do not allow elasticated feeders.

My problem is I have a decent collection of feeders, inc moulds etc but the in line ones are not particularly quick to change. The Preston ICS system looks great, but it’ll cost me a good few bob to switch over!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
If you do not need to be so delicate just cut the broken tip so that the second ring then becomes the top ring. It will not break so easily and you can save using the new drennan replacements for when you really need finesse.

Just to say I've followed your advice i.e. cut the tip and then smoothed the end with sandpaper. I've taken this tip to the river today and it still works ok.
I threw the first broken tip to the bin unfortunately otherwise I could have done the same... but when someone doesn't think it's sometimes too late!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If you can bend the tip ring forwards so it is more parallel to the rod, this will reduce wrap overs. Just be careful though as some rings are easy to do this and others less so. If it’s at all a strain leave it as it is.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you can bend the tip ring forwards so it is more parallel to the rod, this will reduce wrap overs. Just be careful though as some rings are easy to do this and others less so. If it’s at all a strain leave it as it is.

Funny enough some people have the opposite view of that, they reckon the tip guide should be at a 90% angle to prevent line wrap.
Personally I have no idea which is correct or if it matters one way or the other. I have rods with guides sloping away from the tip and with them at a 90% angle and in all honesty i've not found any difference.
I'm quite sure a stiff rod with a soft tip does seem to cause more warp arounds.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Funny enough some people have the opposite view of that, they reckon the tip guide should be at a 90% angle to prevent line wrap.
Personally I have no idea which is correct or if it matters one way or the other. I have rods with guides sloping away from the tip and with them at a 90% angle and in all honesty i've not found any difference.
I'm quite sure a stiff rod with a soft tip does seem to cause more warp arounds.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If you think about it, if the rod had no tip ring, there would be no wrap overs.

Straightening the tip ring means wrapping line has less to grip to.

If you have the facility, take a couple of old tips and try it out. A flatter tip will definitely be less prone to wraps.