Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drennan Twin Tip Duo: 2 sessions, 2 tips broken

Hello, I'm taking the opportunity to ask this question thanks to Sleeping Beauty

So I'm having an issue with Drennan's quivertips. I got a Twin Tip Duo at a very good price and have used the rod twice only with the "quivertip carrier". Straightforward issue, on both occasions the tip broke. Brand new tip. Good size fish but far from massive, and the tip broke about an inch from the top.

Pic taken yesterday:

My immediate hot reaction was to hate Drennan, and to think that they don't provide a protection tube because their quivertips are single-use
    But at the same time the tips are used by thousands of anglers and fit many rods...

What is it I may be doing wrong?

Or, can I try with quivertips from other brands? They must be 65 cm long.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Drennan Twin Tip Duo: 2 sessions, 2 tips broken

Possibly line getting wrapped around the end of the tip

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

As what Ian says, looking at photo it seems as if they are not fitted with anti tangle eyes, Always check line at tip end before casting, it is easy for it to go around the end, can happen to the best of us.
    At least being Drennan there are plenty of stockists around Oxford.
    If you are struggling for a tip, give me a call and I will see what I can do.

Line wrapped around the tip or casting a feeder to heavy for the rod
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

I managed to break, 2 tips, of the "unbreakable" daiwa megatips" which at £45 a go was not funny especially as both were in transit.My fault though in that I used rig tubing lengths of about 2'.Somehow the tubing came thro the tip eye and snapped them.Thought 1st time round it was something else but 2nd time it happened established the true cause.Expensive mistake!

As others have said...user error. I used to do it to the very fine Shakespeare Sigma Wands tips. Unfortunately you cannot get replacements now unlike Drennan.
    Look and check before casting.

Blog Entries

Do you carry the rod ready made up to the venue ? ie in a ready rod bag, with reel attached and sections folded so tip is against butt. Top to Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Do you carry the rod ready made up to the venue ? ie in a ready rod bag, with reel attached and sections folded so tip is against butt. Top to Tail.
    Thinking about this point, I always take tips out and carry them separately in a dedicated tube.
    I do the same with all my rods except pike and carp rods. I have never felt safe with the made up in transit idea.

Silvanillo I have just seen your post in HDYGO. If you do not need to be so delicate just cut the broken tip so that the second ring then becomes the top ring. It will not break so easily and you can save using the new drennan replacements for when you really need finesse.
    Last edited by john step; 26-01-2020 at 16:19.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Thinking about this point, I always take tips out and carry them separately in a dedicated tube.
    I do the same with all my rods except pike and carp rods. I have never felt safe with the made up in transit idea.
    I do the same, also remove the feeder or lead if I cant find velcro band with feeder pouch in it

key for me now is to use preston ICS feeders.that way there's no weight on the quiver whichever way you take it made up to the bank. Works for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast