Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to catch bream

Yes I know, but someone has too!
    I get the odd skimmer but never seem to be able to hold a shoal.
    I’m fishing tomorrow morning unless something cocks my day up and thought I’d try a new lake that’s supposed to have a decent amount of skimmers.
    I’ve got dead reds, sweetcorn and various pellets

Running line only I’ve not got any poles

Any tips, particular methods to try or how much groundbait to use .

Cheers

Default Re: How to catch bream

If it's anything like one of my local club waters, no amount of groundbait will hold a shoal of bream for long. You can catch several in the space of a few minutes, but then have to wait, on average, half-an-hour for the next shoal to come along. Most of the bream anglers use maggot or pellet feeders, re-cast at 10-15 minute intervals and have learned to accept the quiet spells in between catching.

I'm gonna transfer my get-to-know-bream over to you and you do what you want with it! And, probably, much better!

Steps:
    1) Read the forum anytime, especially at work
    And
    (When feeder fishing, on a natural venue)
    2) Identify good spots - places where bream tend to come over and over again, looks like circuit for them, a bit like the M25 Junction 8 for a London everyday driver. You can ask to people on the bank, at the shop, or you will find them with time.
    3) Identify good timing. I was amazed how bites may suddenly start at night time (that was back in summer and autumn)
    4) I used groundbait mixed with hard pellets. Since I'm a beginner in bream, I think the groundbait will disperse and the hard pellets will stay on the bottom for ages, so that gives quite a good stable feeding area for a shoal.
    5) Baits that have worked super well for me (on hair):
    - Swim stim match minis from Dynamite
    - Swim stim soft hookers from Dynamite
    - sweet corn
    - a combination of the above

That gave me endless sessions where bites would last for hours, until I had to go.

More recently, I also had using a combination of bread pellets and Dudules.

Other things I noticed:
    - No bite => a very long hooklink (6 ft!)
    - No bite anymore => moving the feeder makes them react; throwing a few small balls of groundbait with noise makes them react as well.

Have fun!!!
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

In my experience fish deliberately for other species and you’ll find bream. I find using a method feeder with corn or mini boilie to be popular. Pineapple, choc orange and F1 flavoured micros attract them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    In my experience fish deliberately for other species and you’ll find bream. I find using a method feeder with corn or mini boilie to be popular. Pineapple, choc orange and F1 flavoured micros attract them.
    Cheers Mike, I find they turn up when I’m not fishing for them ? It’s like the slimey buggers know lol
    I just thought I’d target them for a change

I’m not fussy at 5he moment what I catch as long as it’s not covid 19.:
    Last edited by mikench; 19-03-2020 at 16:34.

It's a hard choice between catching the virus and snotties................................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

This will probably not apply to your lake if its small or even tomorrow being short notice but I thought this may be interesting to tuck away in the back of ones mind for bigger lakes and/or the new river season if we are allowed out of our homes! This has worked for me in Ireland, lakes and rivers, The Trent,The Nene and stillwaters here.

Soak up and cook a large amount of wheat. Flavouring is not necessary. I am talking about a gallon plus here which is cheap as chips.
    Catapult it all in the evening prior to fishing. Come back before someone else chooses your swim and bag up.

The wheat will be spread about and the bream will stay for longer than is usual because they will not be able to clear all those small particles as quickly as traditional groundbaiting. Worm and bomb works well.

Pearl barley works as well but more expensive and so does rice although those alternatives will not be able to be catapulted as far.

Finally dont forget to take a towel !

Great tips Pete but altogether too much effort to catch a bream.

I'm happy to catch them but never by going to any effort. I was thrilled by my first bream but recall the feeling of disappointment years later, after a strong strike , initial struggle and then that indefinable total capitulation as you reel in.

I should never have to say/think " oh no it's a bream"

I’m happy to say I caught one the other day.
    I’ve plenty of wild bird seed soaked boiled and froze so I’ll give it a try. I won’t be able to pre-bait so may try it in a cage feeder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast