Poles separating and sorting

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve no idea when talking about poles but I was given some of my late brothers when he passed away. I’ve had a look and some seem stuck inside each other and I’m not sure if the right bits are with the right pole.
Any ideas on how to separate the stuck bits or sort which bit belongs with which ?
It’s not urgent but have a week off from work and no where to go

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Quite easy with one of these...

Sensas Adjustable Butt Cap Simple

Insert the white end into the stuck section, turn the green bung to expand the white bit and when tight, pull or push depending on which end is protruding.

A lot of poles have something printed on the sections, some don’t. If the poles are different makes, generally the sections won’t connect properly, if at all.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would try pulling gently down from the thicker end of the section, sometimes they stick if put away wet or are a close fit inside each other, I have tapped the top of a sticking section gently with a piece of dowels to free it,
Dont try WD40 it can act like glue on carbon,

rich66

Reaction score
I thought about using graphite powder I have that for easing the locks and hinges far better than WD40

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Post on here what make and possibly model of poles they are, The thinner end of each section goes into the larger end of the bigger section if you can follow my drift, If they are numbered, for example the number 6 will go into thicker end of the number 7

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I thought about using graphite powder I have that for easing the locks and hinges far better than WD40

Try warm soapy water, some advocate using a hairdryer on the outer section to expand it slightly so the inner will either tap out or slide out. Personally I wouldn't due to risk of over heating section and cracking it.
Other option is to wait for tackle shops to open and take them there, they can sort it for you.

rich66

Reaction score
Try warm soapy water, some advocate using a hairdryer on the outer section to expand it slightly so the inner will either tap out or slide out. Personally I wouldn't due to risk of over heating section and cracking it.
Other option is to wait for tackle shops to open and take them there, they can sort it for you.

My local tackle shop said he would have a look for me so perhaps I’ll wait, I’m sure he will have far more idea than I do !
Thanks for your help.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The one I use when in warrington is good, I put a top 3 kit in upside down and it got jammed .
Took it there and after about 5 mins or so the 3 staff managed to extract it, didnt cost anything.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Rich, post make and model if possible on here, then can have an idea of how many sections pack into one unit, Some will only pack into 12 metre section, others 14.5 metre section.
Also a section may have been broken and over wrapped, meaning the extra wrap of carbon on section may make it a tight fit into the next section up. It's nothing to worry about.

rich66

Reaction score
Mark I’ve had a look left them on the wet grass and in the sun all but one of them I can now get apart!
I have no idea about poles but think I may have just 1 that’s complete
That’s a ngt car basher has a very short tip section so unsure if that is correct.
b7007706062b740175d0cc9db03ae3a3.jpg

Also there’s a maver Moby **** 1080 I’m pretty sure one section is only half the length it should be and the other bit is missing.
aea9a5340449232f356ab2afb68acd95.jpg

61bd9c5e1ed03149fb2d3e7bb6cb751c.jpg

The other is a badger targa 8 sections it says but one section looks completely different make up to the rest.
There’s also a silstar 20’ whip that’s completely stuck
f66cbe5bd5d87524afe09f3ca34657f1.jpg

Same section as above but from the other end.
82f5b7b932c8545e52820b517e8fbb59.jpg

& a Shakespeare telescopic whip job that looks complete apart from a butt cap.

If you can shed any light I’d be great full but apart from the ngt pole I think they are all broke or missing something or other ??
Been a nice morning to be out sorting it. If nothing else I’ll know it’s beyond use and have got a decent spare rod bag !

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
As far as I am aware the silstar whip is telescopic. All sections pack into the maver moby ****.the maver half section is called a dolly butt and will fit between the two largest sections.as you say the Shakespeare is telescopic.Dont worry about short tip section on NGT, it could have been cut back to accept heavy elastic . The section in your hand looks chipped, very fine wet and dry will cure the edge.place vertical on wet and dry on hard surface and rub gently.
I would take the whip to tackle shop,,if you cant get the sections out from the bottom of larger section to clean them. It should work same way as Shakespeare whip. The length of the silstar suggests it is all telescopic, I would get it sorted, they are a brilliant whip and possible collectors item. People are always after silstar tackle,The broken section of maver can be over wrapped possibly about £25 to have it done,

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Thank you Mark for all your help. I’ll definitely take it all to my local tackle shop whenever we get out of this lockdown.
Think I’ve cracked that silstar whip trying to wiggle it out ! But nothing ventured and all that.

Once again thank you for your help