favourite chub swim

marie marling

Reaction score
the tree I used to fish under has fell in do you think it will improve the fishing /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif.any help greatly appreciated.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yep,a stronger line and freeline baits...............or as little as possible on the line to snag which is fairly obvious!!

From experience it takes a while for the swim to settle after such an event and don't be suprised if big perch(even bigger roach!)move in after a week or two!!

I think its a really major challenge as to how close one fishes to the tree-but very exciting!!

Good luck anyway!!

ps if I used a float I normally cast away from thetree(or overcast)and then drag the float closer well before it reaches bottom.................if its deep I have used a slider floatto help drop the float closer to the tree when casting(less distance between float and hook to contend with)....personally I would continue to prebait-little and often-when possible

marie marling

Reaction score
thanks TC/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.Sounds good for the future. I'm going to put some mashed bread and hemp in and hope for the best. Hows your season going .

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Marie.

A tip from Tony Miles when fishing such a feature as you now have, was to feed with liquidised bread first. This encouraged the smaller Chub to follow the feed away from the feaure. And then feed with Mashed bread which would encourage the bigger Chub to stay where they were.

marie marling

Reaction score
thanks baz the peg had about 50 resident chub from about 1/2 a pound to 6lb 5oz with a dozen 5lb ers the old bloke who used to fish it had 5 fish over 5lb in one day that's fishing for 8 hours the good thing is its never fished in the Wye matches so it does not get hammered.

marie marling

Reaction score
I have not seen the old bloke who used to fish it for months someone said he had a heart attack and heis to ill to fish./forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Some a*se has cut back a willow that was well into the water on my local river

Ruined the swim...I could throttle 'em/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

marie marling

Reaction score
they did afewtrees for the Wye champs fu**ed the pegs for fishing the margins now its so cold /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif. can you stick withys in the bank to start new trees or do you need permission Tony.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
I'm afraid its urban chubbing for me Marie; I wouldn't fancy the chances of any environmental structures surviving for more than a month or two where I'm fishing/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Marie..............I think you could at least send the'old bloke'a card if he's ill...........perhaps with a photo or two......one of'his swim'with you sitting fishing and another of some 5/6lb chub-that should get him out of bed(or hes already met his maker)!!

Tony-doesn't it always happen-just when the cover starts to reach a decent level some donkey decides to trim it back!I have now started to look for non-swims(for want of a better name)-plant my own bushes etc and try not to leave any sign of entry into the area.Its a long shotand some in my club might say I'm creating another swim but then they don't know about it do they!!

Marie....perhaps a floating crust for the chub dropped among the branches from above with no line on the water for great presentation.....and hold on tight!!Walker once wrote about two big chub he caught on dead frogs..............freelined.......in a lock cutting......worth a try I'd say....

marie marling

Reaction score
Thank you Tee-cee for the advice /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifcut some willow branches off and stick them in the bank 9 times out of10 they will take and its surprising how fast they will grow /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif. I hope your new peg turns out well .

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Marie,fallen in trees are brilliant holding areas and ambush pointsfor chub,perch and pike.Just be mindful to batten down the hatches as it were andprepare for a struggle when a biggie tries to make for those sunken branches !!!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Not going too well atall.....lol Family commitments,the mrs working on sundaysand the cartelidge is knackered in my right knee.....this is stopping me walking any great distances etc... all these things are conspiring against me/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif.

It`s nice to talk to fishy minded folk on here though.....this place keeps me going and keeps me sane !!!!

marie marling

Reaction score
my partner's dad has the same problem with both knees. last year he fell on the bank and broke his hip,/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif he still finished the season and goes as often as he can. it just takes over 1 hour to walk to the bank/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif so we've started sending him on the bus or in a taxi then meet him there. we are lucky though we can get down to the river from the roads in most areas./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifwhen are you having your knee done?.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m not....doctors won`t do bugger all for me except give me pain killers,anti inflamatoriesand some excersises for me to do.I also suffer a bit with arthritus in both knees which doesn`t help sometimes.

Unless igo to the doctors in so much pain and crawling/dragging myself along the floor,i`m up poop creek without a paddle i`m afraid.You see the NHS have deemed me too young (i`m 42) for them to pay for any operation !!! /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

****ing scandalous i call !!!