Scalding Pellets

Nik Brooker-Foad

Reaction score
So having watched the weather hold double figures this week I'm thinking of going fishing for the first time this year - especially as Sky have stopped all the fishing programs!

Going to a local set of lakes - Pondwood - and will fish using pellet for small carp and some of the larger silver fish.

Will try a combination of floating and ledgering. Would like to use some scalded pellet as this seems to increase the attractiveness of the pellet in colder conditions.

Scalding process is what??? A pile in a baot box with boiled water? Leave for how long? What's the expected product supposed to look like?

Pointers required....

chub angler

Reaction score
Nik pour some pellets in a tub and cover them with cold water from the lake leave them for 2 Min's and pour the water offthrough a mesh and leave the pellets in the tub for 5 Min's after 5 Min's you should be able to mould the pellets around your lead or feeder or moulded in to a paste .2mins for 2mm pellets 5mins for bigger feed pellets. I hope this helps.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Scalding process is what??? "

'Look at you, what an 'orrible little pellet you are, thin, scrawny and scruffy, call yourself a pellet? I'd call you an apology for a pellet!"

Oh, Scalding Pellets, thought you said Scolding Pellets,. . . . . . . erm, do like what chub angler says above . . . . . .

[insert smiley thing - - - - - > H E R E ]

Sorry ,couldn't resist it, welcome to FM by the way.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Now now Peter

thats not really a scolding is it, more of a telling off ! you'll be inviting them round for tea and cakes soon./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Using hot water quickens the process but after watching some young carpers last year burn their fingers after following instructions from one of the TV stars who suggested boiling the kettle and "pour on boiling water" quickly followed by "get yer hands in there and mix it all up" I rather like the more laid back approach and use lake water and wait a bit longer method.

It should look like a turd when moulded, dont squeeze it too hard as you want the pellets to break away into a soft pile around your feeder or lead. If you put your hook bait inside the turd and it doesnt break away then you wont hook the fish proper.

Try one in the margins so you can see the breakdown time and then mould to suit.

Nik Brooker-Foad

Reaction score
Chub Angler - thanks very much. Will give this a go.

Peter - I hope you have a well paid job. Your career isn't going to be in comedy!

chub angler

Reaction score
Nik you can also put a squirt of flavour in the water you use to cover your pellet and you can get pellet moulds preston method mould etc. good luck when you go.

Nik Foad

Reaction score
Sunday - off fishing on Sunday.

Taking a beginner - a bit like the blind leading the blind - so really hope to deliver some fish.

Going to a quiet local commercial - so pretty confident that I will be able to deliver.

chub angler

Reaction score
ask for advice when you pay for your day ticket and I'm sure they will help they want your money and they want you to come back.