Newbie advice

Martin Greenall

Reaction score
Hi all.. I'm totally new to fishinng and looking to by some basics on a budget (well the wife and kids will be for my birthday) Have been looking a float rod kids and like the look of Matt Hayes Delux course fishing kit for £35 from go out doors in wakefield.. Can anyone recomened this bit of kit or have they bought it them selves for just starting out..

Love the forum, you guys are the egg heads of fishing..

Martin

NIGE K

Reaction score
if you find a decent tackle shop and ask for adviceyou should be able to get a 13ft float rod and a cheap shimano reel plus a landing net and handle and basic tackle to get you going for around a hundred pound.if you buy really cheap stuffyou will end up needing to replace it sooner rather than later.

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Check out, Tackle2U they have a branch at Outwood, nr Wakefield, look at the Rod and Reel Combos, they will also give you any advise you need. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Martin Greenall

Reaction score
Cheers Tony, I will and there not far from me either.. Not looking to get much to start with. Going to gradually build up as I go along and start with the basics..

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Martin, will be having a clearout of my tackle over the weekend, may have a few items for you, message me on sunday,will let you know. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Iam from Leeds so i coulddrop them in or you could collect.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
welcome to the site Martin. Whatever kit you end up with, just make sure you get out and use it. Theres nothing worse than having kit in the shed or garage and not using it. A present from the family is better being used than not.

Think of it as a ticket to your own little bit of freedom.

Martin Greenall

Reaction score
That would be great Tony.. Many thanks.. I live in Tingley and would be happy to come collect if you do happen to have any spare bits.. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

Don't forget old Fleabay, either mate. I'd rather have a secondhand Drennan or Daiwa or Shimano rod or reel than a new unbranded one.

Above all, get sorted AND GET FISHING!

GoodOldBoy

Reaction score
Boot fairs can sometimes bring up a few decent rods and reels for next to nothing just give them a good look over for repairs etc before handing any cash over.

Again ebay is a good source as well. You can sometimes pick up a complete set of rods reels boxes etc for the price of a top of the range rod! Can't be bad.

Good luck Martin.

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Martin, Please fill in your profile, I have a fewitems of tackle for you , message me with your address and Tel No , so I can arrange to drop them off or you can collect.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Martin

Don't forget you need to get a fishing licence --- as well as your tackle .....

Martin Greenall

Reaction score
Many Thanks Tony, Have sent you a message with my details.. Let me know if you dont get them..

brewart65

Reaction score
car soots come with word of warning unless you know what you are looking for you can pay over the top i brought a 13ft shakespeare float rod at my local tackle shop for 20 quid used it twice didnt get on with it done car boot in summer sold it to first person to ask how much 35 told him expecting knock down nope gave me 35 walked away happy as larry tackle shop was selling them off the shelf for 25 so my misses went and brought 10 quid of stuff off his stall in loft ready for car boot this year .....BARGINS OUT THERE IF YOU KNOW if you dont tackle shop everytime good luck and tight lines/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Big Sky

Reaction score
I wouldsay if see a cheap pair of binoculers grab them as well nothing better than pointing out bits of nature to the kids gets all the family involved, but what ever you end up doing i hope you all enjoy it ,Martin/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Martin Greenall

Reaction score
Many thanks everybody for the sound advice and especially to Tony Hartwho kindly gave me some kit to get started.. Have also been to my local tackle shop for a few more bits and advice from here set me off in good stead for what i needed.. Going away tommorow for a week with the family and me and my little lad are taking the rods too for our first outing../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

EC

Good luck mate, don't forget your EA licence if you haven't yet bought one!

Big Sky

Reaction score
Nice one Martin . Hope you and the lad have a good one m8, and nice one Tony wish there were more people like you out there good on ya M8. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

BS