Stepping up from tiddlers

Jonshez

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a very novice angler I'm curious - how does one step up from 4" tiddlers to catching a serious fish?

I'm told the water I was fishing on has tench, carp and bream but all I seem to be able to attract are 4" roach and perch. I'm sure it's something I'm doing, but how or where or what I have no idea!

I'm not even sure what sort of things to be thinking about!

I don't expect miracles, but it would be nice to feel I had some kind of chance at a proper grown up's fish /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Jon

E

EC

Tell us how you are currently fishing the water Jon, and a little bit more about the water itself,like the size of the water, depth, featuresetc. Also have you actually witnessed bigger fish coming out?

Welcome to the site btw.

Jonshez

Reaction score
Thanks EC.

Sorry for expecting a lot of mind-reading!

Currently float fishing on a little commercial with my boy. The idea being if I can get him some bites and fish on the line he'll be inclined to get off the Xbox for a while. So far so good! First time last week and we took 9 fish between us, this weekend 7.

A pint of mixed maggots and just adding 3-6 every few minutes around the hookbait.

That method seems to produce pretty steady results for little roach and perch, and I even managed a couple of gudgeon on sunday. The week before a little mirror carp and a bigger roach.

The water isn't huge, maybe 200ft long and 30ft wide. No obvious features like islands, but there is a concrete wall at one end which is where we seem to have success. Some weed on the far bank and the depth is around the 4ft mark in that area. I've seen what i think was a carp rolling the surface, and there are matches on the water too from time to time.

I'm not by nature impatient, but I don't want to aim for 4" perch forever and I long to feel the thrill of a tench or something more substantial. My worry is that the knowledge gap between catching tiddlers and catching fish seems much bigger than the gap between starting and catching tiddlers!

I don't expect or want others to do the work for me, but any simple tips are more than welcome!

Jon

E

EC

Always tough to answer these ones mate, but if you're getting bites you're doing something right. However my initial guesss is that you might be feeding a little too lightly. If there are a decent number of small fish, they'll mop up maggots quite quickly, so there's nowt there for when the tench or carp turn up.

It could be you need to feed a little heavier, and maybe use a bigger bait, say a piece of corn or a hookable pellet or piece of meat. Try upping your feedamount, and popping in5 pieces of corn at the same time, the switch from maggot to corn every so often.

Orfeed the maggot line, where you normally fish, and carry on as normal herebut drip a few pieces of corn, pelletsor meat every few minutes down to your left or right (or both), I mean at 3 or 9 oclock to your fishing position, assuming you're maggot line is 12 o clock. Then after say half hour or so drop a bait in and see if anything has moved over it.

Doing things this way means you can always alternate between swims, and whilst you are catching from one swim, the others are being rested but still getting a bit of feed going in, the confidence of the fish builds, and hopefully your catch rate increases.

Jonshez

Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks for that Eddie, I'll give that a try.

Am I right to assume I'm sticking with a size 16 hook and just changing over the bait when I try the 3 and 9 o'clock spots?

It's peculiar how fickle the fish seem to be to a beginner. One minutebites, three fish in 15 minutes, then 3 hours of nothing. I'm guessing the shoal has moved on or it could be anything in my mind! Too much food, not enough food, wind changed direction, I have no idea! Ah being a noob is confusing... baitrunner, waggle tip, carp reels, round hooks there's so much to get your head around! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

EC

There is often no rhyme nor reason mate, but if it was guaranteed we wouldn't bother.

What size are the tench and small carp? Size 16 shouldnt be too far out hookwise if they're small-ish i.e up to a couple of pound, don't fret about going a little smaller in hook terms if bites are hard to come by. I'd certainly use a smaller hook for maggot fishing for those perch and roach, say a size 20.

What line strength and diameter are you using?

Whatever happens, just keep things as simple as possible, simple waggler set up, the bulk of theshot around the float, a few droppers down the line, there's plenty of shotting patterns in mags and on this site.

After that, plumb the depth accurately (in both swims if you fish at 3 or 9 oclock as well) as well as further out. Sometimes there is a noticeable ledge which is an excellent underwater feature. Other than that keep feeding the swims, even when sport is slow.

Jonshez

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>EC wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

What line strength and diameter are you using?

Whatever happens, just keep things as simple as possible, simple waggler set up, the bulk of theshot around the float, a few droppers down the line, there's plenty of shotting patterns in mags and on this site.</blockquote>

lol, I have no idea! I'm using a cheap real that came in a Zebco set from Argos. I've bought a £20 Shimano but stopped myself buying line tonight because I realised I didn't know what I needed.

Ok, waggler is a float connected to the line at the bottom?

E

EC

Have a look at these articles mate.

There's loads of info here just take your time and peruse, anything you aren't sure of or that you need clarifying, justask.

Jonshez

Reaction score
Great thanks again, Eddie.

I read the beginners articles but I missed the "First Class Fishing" series. Very informative (and pitched at just the right level for me!)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Jon

If you are catching tiddlers you are doing something right. The important thing is that your gear is able to land a larger fish than you are currently catching without being to heavy to put the fish off.

Keep feeding little and often all the time and sonner or later the bifgger fish will push the smaller fish of the feed area. Some times a larger type bait like a worm , corn, meat or bread will pick of the bigger fish.

Good luck Jon

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's not the total answer and nothing will take the place of experience on the bank but finding a more experienced companion to fish with might just help-someone who has a bit of patience(many fisherman are only too pleased to help!)who has fished for years and is willing to take you along with him or visit your water......

I started out at 7 years old and via my father joined a club and have belonged to dozens of clubs ever since.The help and knowledge you will gain from being around matchmen and bigger fish hunters found in any club is immeasureable...........really worth a try!!

Otherwise,walking around waters and watching others can also help;if not for detail then for casting techniques etc etc

You are in a wonderful position Jonshez-just starting out with it all in front of you-I'm envious mate!!

Lastly,read,watch DVD's etc etc and ask as many questions as you can via FM!!!

Good luck to you!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tee-Cee wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's not the total answer and nothing will take the place of experience on the bank but finding a more experienced companion to fish with might just help-someone who has a bit of patience(many fisherman are only too pleased to help!)who has fished for years and is willing to take you along with him or visit your water......

I started out at 7 years old and via my father joined a club and have belonged to dozens of clubs ever since.The help and knowledge you will gain from being around matchmen and bigger fish hunters found in any club is immeasureable...........really worth a try!!

Otherwise,walking around waters and watching others can also help;if not for detail then for casting techniques etc etc

You are in a wonderful position Jonshez-just starting out with it all in front of you-I'm envious mate!!

Lastly,read,watch DVD's etc etc and ask as many questions as you can via FM!!!

Good luck to you!</blockquote>

You could also take a lesson with a proffesional coach.

www.smartcarping.com might be able to help you

Jonshez

Reaction score
Brilliant!

Thanks very much for the advice chaps. I absolutely can't bloomin wait to get out there this weekend!

Jon

John Heelis

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Jonshez wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Brilliant!

Thanks very much for the advice chaps. I absolutely can't bloomin wait to get out there this weekend!

Jon</blockquote>

And that is what it's all about.

As a newbie myself (about 18months experience) i found that the bigger fish just really turned up on the end of my line. Much of it was down to confidence and the help of Fm members. Don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes it works and other times not but that is part of the fun. You'll definately be having fun when you hook into your first biggie (I couldn't get the smile off my face for days, when i caught my 1st big un)

From reading your posts it would appear that you are enjoying yourself, and hopefully you son is as well.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Try fishing early morning or late evening - fish one line and feed a margin line - keep your eye on the margin line - you should see the water swirl or muddy as carp or tench find the food - evenings are a prime time for carp in the margins - then fish this margin line