A few questions

dapperdan

Reaction score
A few questions, just started fishing anew water for me that has some decent sized fish in as opposed to small ones that I am used to, I had a few main line snaps using 3lb line with size 16 hooks to nylon 2 1/2 lb.

The snap was at the main line loop that was looped through the nylon loop, I guess I need to step up my main line, I have a spool of 6 lb line so was going to use that next session with the size 16 hooks, would this be OK?

A question on luncheon meat, how to to hook it? I had lots of bites with this but the fish got the bait without being hooked, this seems to be the best bait for this lake, is just a question of firmness as discussed in another thread?

Cheers

Dan

C

Cakey

I cut (and break some up) at home then I fry it all to get a hard skin without burning

works for me...........

chub angler

Reaction score
Dan are you leaving the hook point proud when you put the meat on?.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Dapperdan,

To your original question.............

The setup of 3lbs mainline and a 2lbs 8ozs hooklength seem fairly balanced to me.

If your mainline is letting go as you describe, I'd suggest there's a problem with either the condition of your mainline or the knot being used to attach the hooklength. I'b be inclined to get a new spool of 3lbs line, and tie and test some knots at home, before blindingly stepping up to 6lbs.

dapperdan

Reaction score
thanks guys, I must admit I need to work on my knots so that is probably the problem, on 3lbs main line what size fish would this handle at the larger end?

In regards to the luncheon meat, yes the hook point is proud, I'm pushing the hook into the cube of meat with the barb punching out the bottom.

Dan

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Thats a good question............

Depends on many factors.

If the venue you fish is fairly snag free, and the rod well balance (fairly soft in this case), you should be ok for anything from a few ozs upto 5 or 6lbs.

No reason why you could'nt land fish twice that size as a 'one off'. But if the average you're catching starts becoming 5lbs+, then you're best to consider stronger tackle.

Only take these statements as a 'guide' though. It will depend on the venue as much asanything.

dapperdan

Reaction score
thanks Mark thats what I was thinking,

I have a feeling that the 2 line snaps i had where fish over 5lbs so that and poor knots may be the proble,

didnt have any problems with stuff under that weight.

slime monster

Reaction score
My method of fishing meat is as follows..

prepare the meat by cutting into cubes using the BLUNT edge of a knife to give a stressedlook 8mm is the norm for my 14 hooks

put meat in a poly bag add small amount of fishmeal shake bag fridge over night

by morning the meat will have a rubbery texture enabling it to be lightly hooked and cast without flying off.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
when useing hooks to nylon loop to loop , there is a right and wrong way of looping. the correct way is to take the main line loop and pass it throught the hooklenght loop, then take the hook and pass it through the mainline loop, and pull up tight. What your prob doing is to pass the hooklenght loop through the mainline hoop and put hook through hooklenght loop, this way will break every time.hope that helps.

J K

Reaction score
Knots

dapperdan

There was a very good article on the old FM site about knots. The writer, whose name I can't remember, argued that a simple overhand or figure of eight knot to form a loop introduced a substantial weakness into the line at the loop. He suggested using a knot such as this.

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html

Hope this helps.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If the Knot was breaking at the loop of the mainline that would suggest to me that it is indeed the knot you used to make the loop and not the mainline itself.
The set up you had of 3lb mainline and 2½lb hook length sounds fine to me as a nicely balanced rig set up.
I use the figure of 8 loop knot to tie all my loops and never had a problem with them, you will read lots of different people with different opinions of which knot to use, find a knot that works for you and stick with it.
This is how i tie my loops -: Take the end of your mainline and fold it over so you form a loop, take the loop and fold it over itself so you create another loop, then pass the line you just folded over the top back underneath and then pass it through the loop, wet the line before tightening the knot. With a little practise you will soon be able to form a neat little knot that is extremely strong.

Tight Lines

J K

Reaction score
That's the one Matt. Also try googling Roy Marlow he has several videos showing how to tie knots.