how to cast a john wilson six shooter rod and reel

noel

Reaction score
hi all how do you cast one of these with a mepps spinner or are they to light for the task in hand and should i stick to my leeda 2xl spinnning rod and fixed spool for my mepps

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
hi all how do you cast one of these with a mepps spinner or are they to light for the task in hand and should i stick to my leeda 2xl spinnning rod and fixed spool for my mepps

Welcome to FM mate.

In answer to your question, small mepps, in fact all small lures of that type will be difficult with the above setup. You may be better off sticking with your spinning rod and fixed spool reel. Baitcasting outfits are infinately more suited to the medium to large size lures. No point in making life difficult for yourself.

Hope this helps.

noel

Reaction score
Hi thanks Derek I used to be a member a few years ago before all the changes and all my threads were lost , I had a few casts at the weekend on the river wear for the sea trout and couldn't get any distance so I have brought that rod home I have a static less than 15 yds from the river in weardale ( I belong to the sister forum as well)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"how do you cast one of these"

Aim them at the nearest Biffa bin. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but our regular writer Kevin Perkins will testify as to how many birds nests he's had on his Six Shooter. Basically, he doesn't think they're very good.

However, as Derek says, keep to medium sized lures, perhaps 1ozs to 3ozs, and they should be OK with a lot of practice. For very light stuff, stick to a light spinning rod.

Rickrod

Reaction score
my mate said the samething about his

supgen

Reaction score
there just not ideal for ultralight lures imo. noel pm me your address I have a dvd of john wilson fishing with this outfit, I think it will come in useful for you. completely free.

supgen

Reaction score
tried replying mate but it wouldnt let me, I'll have it sent out the following monday :)

TJD Notts

Reaction score
I bought the same set-uo and sold it to my brother-in-law for a profit after many a birds nest. Tried various spinners/ lures of different weights and could never get any distance even if i did avoid a birds nest!

Trevor

Sharique Henery

Reaction score
the trick is to bin the sixshooter reel straight away an upgrade it asap! i got a abu black max on my sixshooter travel rod an its great.