Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadcore

Tom Sexton Guest

In my short limited time as a Carp fisherman I have never used leadcore but I now intend to. I'm aware of all the safety issues, so no problem there. However, I have got myself a bit confused with the theory of how it works. The weight of the leadcore pins the line to the bottom, however after you have cast your line out and then tensioned the line up etc. does this not raise the leadcore off the bottom? Is the weight of the leadcore sufficient that it will create enough resistance when you tighten up to prevent raising it? Thanx.

Bob Watson Guest

Good question Tom, always had me stumped that one.

Rik???

To lift the lead core off the bottom means that a combination of things have to come together. First of all the lead weight needs to be heavy enough to hold bottom when you tension the line to that extent. Then it depends how far out you're cast - the further you cast the more difficult it will be to tighten up sufficiently to take the sag out of the line and lift the lead core. Add to that the fact that you then need to clip up or use a heavy enough indicator to hold the lead core off bottom.

So, in practice, the answer is no, tightening up in realistic terms will not lift the lead core off bottom.

Dave Rothery Guest

depends on how far out your fishing, and how tight the line. i normally fish with slack-ish lines, so its not a problem. you have to think about the lake bottom. over gravel/silt leadcores fine, but its a bit pointless if your fishing into weed as it'll stick straight up. same with tubing. whether it makes any difference to the fish as they will be bumping into all sorts in the weed (especially those pink coconut ones - nobody ever eats them, but they still dissapear!).

i could talk about flying back leads......

Tom Sexton Guest

Thanks for that Graham. It makes sense now. Much appreciated.

Dave Rothery Guest

go to a field, cast 40yds and put the tip of your rod 6ft up in the air, and see how tight you have to tighten it till the line lifts clear

Tom Sexton Guest

Thanks also Dave. I might just try that. Reading the answers to my query I know whats going to happen - a lot of tightening beyond what I would normally. Will be worth it for some casting accuracy practice though.

Bob Watson Guest

So is the use of leadcore pointless with mono lines then?? I assume it's used to pin the line (itself) to the deck immediately behind the lead.
    Some replies seem to suggest that mono will lie on the bottom anyway even after tensioning to rod tip.
    What about fishing close in in deep water?Surely tightening up would lift leadcore.

Dave, would your test apply to braid too?

Tom Sexton Guest

Oh dear!!1 Iwas happy with the previous responses. Bob has a point here. Any further advice please? By the way thanks all.

Dave Rothery Guest

tom - its the only way you learn mate - keep questioning, read the answers, sieve out the c**p and ask another!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast