plumbing?

M

Mark Morton

when plumbing around a swim, how careful should i be not to scare away the fish. a large plummet flying around a swim is bound to scare fish off , isnt it?

M

Mark Williams

Any water disturbance is undesirable, but fish don't seem too bothered by things landing in the water, otherwise swimfeeders wouldn't be so successful. They're much more likely to be scared off when you bang in your banksticks, or if you go galumphing around. As long as you approach the water quietly and try to stay off the skyline (or get a good backdrop) plumbing is very unlikely to influence your fishing. Good luck!

julian thompson

Reaction score
Instead of a plummet, use an ssg shot pinched onto the hook. Much less disturbance, and i find it easier to control. Also if the bottom is very soft it will give a more accurate depth.

W

Wag

I do much the same as Julian, using a SSG shot on, or just above the hook. If you are using a waggler setup, remove some of the shot from the base of the float so that the top of your rig is more bouyant, that way you will be certain that the depth is accurate as your line from hook to float will be straighter (Remember to put the shot back on before fishing).

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Back in the days when I lived in the UK and did a lot of match fishing, if I was on a water holding tench carp (any bottom feeder) I would (when rules allowed plumbing before all in) plumb away to my hearts content with the heaviest plummet I could find, dragging it across the bottom on each retrieve ..disturbing the bottom and hopefully getting the fish to get their heads down.....just like raking but on a smaller scale.

B

Bob Watson

upside down waggler, I'll explain when I'm a bit better for wear.

B

Bob Watson

Only occasionly Les,,,, VERY occasionly, but the method works, when I can get my brain in gear to describe it!

L

Les Clark

Bob, it`s called a senior moment,I know the feeling, what was Idoing, why did Icome out here for? have I baited my hook?.

L

Les Clark

Hi Kiwi,late replie, just got in from work, ......(just like raking but on a smaller scale).

M

Mark Morton

upside down waggler ???

Bob i think you have had too many

B

Bob Watson

Oh alright then!
A long time ago fishing the coventry canal and blanking miserably an old fella came along and sorted us ( me and a mate) out. He rummaged through our meagre items of tackle and produced a porcupine quill. We wouldn't have dreamed of using one, tackle tarts even then. It's all a bit vague now but it went something like...
He bent the wire eye so it was at 90' to the float "stem" then threaded the line through from the bottom, tied on a hook and piched a single shot, just heavy enough to sink float a few inches from the hook and another, smaller for the float to rest further up. When he flicked the rig in he gave plenty of slack and flicked the rod tip until the float appeared on the surface then tightened down to it.
It seems when the float rights itself the eye grips the line as it twists round.
A combination of the lift method and early version of the locslide perhaps?
Make the rod tip is deeper than the bottom of the float.
Try it, it works.