Tench........help required!

M

Mick Fleet

Hi all.
I have just joined a norfolk "carp" syndicate purposely for the pike fishing during the winter months, and during conversations with some of the members have found out to my delight that the venues hold good quality tench reportedly going to 12lb's which are caught on boilies.
As this is very much a "carp" syndicate, nobody fishes for anything else (hence joining it for the other species!).
The venue is a former gravel pit complex and the lake im interested in is approximately 10 acres in size, with a max depth that ive found of 14ft and is quite weedy in the summer months.
Could anyone offer me any advice on how to tackle this water with regard to bait and rigs (id rather not fish boilies unless i realy have to)as im not realy interested in the carp at all.Thanks for your help.
Mick.

D

David Will

Mick first of all find your fish. Tench can be very localised early on up till spawning time after which they spread out.Look for rolling fish at dawn and dusk or through the day , you will just have to look.
Once you found they areas to fish use a marker set up to find easonably clear areas in which to fish, Tench love features like humps bars and plateaus.For the fishing itself I would begin with a groundbait approach. Load the groundbait with casters and a bit of corn and hemp. Start with a few tangerine sized balls and follow up with a small ball of groundbait every hour or after every fish.Fish maggot feeders over the groundbait , try three red maggots on a size 12 and vary the length of your hooklink if you have difficulty hitting bites , 2 or 3 inches is not too short and can turn unhittable bites into stormers.Keep re casting the feeders every half hour to an hour.I am no longer a member but you could try looking at the Tenchfishers web site www.tenchfishers.net
for rig tips etc. This time of year the above should work but it is winter and do not expect miracles, however Tench do feed and I have had multiple catches at Tring in February. Of the gravel pits I fish I am afraid boilies can do better in winter particularily Tutti Fruitti minis so you could try them on one rod to see what does best.Be aware though that location location location is the watch word at any time especially this time of year.Also speak to the Carp anglers if they are worth their salt they may know where the Tench hold up in winter.I hope you do well.

M

Mick Fleet

Thanks Dave for your in depth answer to my question.
Im told by the carp guys that the fish (carp and tench)in the lake make themselves VERY obvious with plenty of rolling and crashing during the summer months when i intend fishing for them, so location is not going to be too much of a problem.
Finding a free swim on a carp syndicate could be though!
Once again thanks for your help.
Regards
Mick

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Mick, before I got seriously involved with carp nagling, I spent fourteen years chasing just tench. David has given some excellent advice and in addition, I would certainly be concentrating o the feeder with an open ended cage. Cast out to a bar or plateau and keep casting until you've laid a good bed of groundbait mix down. I would then look at a size fourteen hook with a small looped hair. Get a needle and cotton then put about 10 red maggots on the thread via the needle. Tie the thread ina loop and pull tight to the looped hair. Sit back and watch-out.

I think locating tench in summer is a doddle as well as extreme fun. When the bubbles bubble, just go for it matey!

M

Mick Fleet

Thanks stuart.
Its been very refreshing to get so much help from all of you, and its appreciated.
Ile certainly be taking on board all of the recomendations and hopefuly have a cracking season to come.
Once again thanks.
Mick.

S

Steve Shaw

Tench love the shallow weedy areas in the summer, Fish close to reeds, or weed beds. Most of my tench have come from under the rod tip, manytimes in less than 2 foot of water.

R

Robert Draper

I've often found on boilie-baited waters that very small (10-12mm) boilies rigged two or three to a hair help to target more Tench than carp. You could also try dogfood, which has worked for me on several occasions. Corn is without doubt one of the best tench baits there is but unfortunately it attracts just as many carp.

john anthony bate

Reaction score
YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN SOME VERY GOOD ADVICE BUT REMEMBER THE BASICS AND KEEP QUIET YOU CAN CATCH TENCH FROM UNDER YOUR ROD TIP ON SCALED DOWN CARP TACTICS WHEN THE FISHING GETS HARDER IN MID SUMMER CHANGE BAITS
J.BATE WWW.TIGHTLINES-PORTUGAL.COM