Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zig Rigs

Help please. Meand Wol are going Carping next week, the lake has produced to the Zig Rig, can someone please elucidate.

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt Guest

Instead of a float controller, you use a normal lead setup with a long hooklength. To fish with the bait on the surface, the hooklength needís to be set to the depth of the water youíre fishing.
    I tend to fish with the bait between two feet & two inches from the surface. If your hooklength is so long that itís awkward to cast, it can be carefully folded & tied with PVA string. Once in the lake, the string dissolves and your bait floats up, extending the hooklength. Can be very useful when you want to fish a floating bait at range.

I'll sort you one out monday Noddy!

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Noddy!!! How many fish you had out then?

At least I can catch the ducks, 5 diffrent spacies now.

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt Guest

I been keeping them quite!

Murray, just in case Mr Sensitive dosen't mention it, put some careful consideration towards your striking if you get a bite. Think about the position of your lead and set-up to your hook and hookbait. One to think about thats all matey!

Been down today for a look. Half the lake is stiff but I still saw 2 head and shoulder, I'm gonna need the Zig. Anyone got any cute Zig rigs, or is Warren actually telling the truth for once?

I'm thinking about it Stu.

And its giving me a headache.

Nice and simple mate ok? Take one of your float rods with you, stick a plumet on and cast to where you wish to fish. Mark mthe depth then reel back in. Put your carp rod along the bank and compare depths then set your carp rip two foot under depth (or whatever has been advised).

Rig; for get tubing or anything like that. Just take end of line and thread through your lead-eye. Carry on with end of line and tie on your hooklength. Add to this your-pop-up bait and your'e away. Then mark your line with a swan shot or float stop in front of the ;lead so the float stop/swan shot stops the pop-up from reachimng the surface. Use a heavy lead to maintain direct contact from hook to reel in that you don't want a light lead moving along the bottom giving slow indoication when a heavy lead will stay put and line will pull through directly to your reel.

Keep an eye on the striking in that you'll have a fair amount of line to retrieve between you and the hook. (depending on depth of water etc). This my friend is a 'keep-it-simple' zig rig and hope it helps. As Warren sayd, use PVA tape to tie the lot together in case of tangles via casting, alternatively, pop the lot in a PVA bag.

The striking into the fish will be totally different in that the angles will all up the wall. Thats what I meant when I said think about it matey.

Dave Rothery Guest

be careful pinching shot onto line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast