BEGINNER HERE PLEASE HELP!!!

Ashley Barnes

Reaction score
I HAVE NOT BEEN FISHING SINCE I WAS ABOUT SIX YEARS OLD AND I WANT TO TAKE UP FISHING AS A HOBBY. CAN ANYBODY ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET GEARED UP. I WOULD LIKE TO TRY POLE FISHING AS MORE PEOPLE SEEM TO BE USING THEM THESE DAYS FOR SMALL FISH AS-WELL AS BONUS FISH SUCH AS CARP AND TENCH. I DONT WANT TO BREAK THE BANK BUT I WANT A POLE THAT WILL LAST FOR A LONG TIME AND CAN BE USED FOR SMALL AND BIG FISH. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE DIAWA RANGE ARE GOOD POLES AND WILL LAST YOU FOR A LIFE-TIME BUT I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT SHIMANO ARE THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY.PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

R

Rasmus Keis

Hello Ashley

2 important things:

You wont find a pole that are equally good at fishing for both small and big fish. Allround poles will always be a compromise. But if you will be fishing for the bigger specimens buy a strong pole, that can also be used for smaller fish, although its pretty heavy to handle.

Shimano, Daiwa all makes very good poles. The best advice is to try it out for yourself. NEVER buy a pole unless you have tryed holding it in its full lenght. Forget about the weight - the important thing is balance, and what I prefer you may hate. So try out at least 2-3 poles in your pricerange at your dealer before bying anything.

good luck, Rasmus, Denmark

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Ashley,
Also ask about the availability of spares, pole ranges are released each year and it can be hard to find spares to replace damaged sections a couple of years after buying your choice. Also look at the package as a whole, the more top sections you get with the package the less lightly you will need to buy additional kits for other venues as you can fit each kit with different grade elastics. Another thing you should buy straight away is a free standing roller, believe me it will make the whole pole fishing experience 100% more enjoyable as it will allow you to controll the pole far more easily, and elastic lubracant is also a must.

D

Dave Williams

Hi

A ggod all round pole which is good for small fish and can be elasticated up to size 20 is a Grim Reaper made by Maver I use one, spares are cheap i.e. extra top kits it is about 950 grammes at 11 metres but if u check out their site you will get more info at about ?250 it is a bargain.

Dave

D

Duncan Brion

Also consider that it is not just the price of the pole but all the kit that goes with it e.g. Seat box ?100+, pole rollers ?30+, cupping kit ?30+. Even the basic set up can cost you ?300-400

Unless you are going straight into match fishing then I would try and borrow one for the day to see how you get on. If you aren't going to match fish regularly seriously consider whether you need one at all. Good all rod and line is just as effective and in the main cheaper.

D

Duncan Brion

Also consider that it is not just the price of the pole but all the kit that goes with it e.g. Seat box ?100+, pole rollers ?30+, cupping kit ?30+. Even the basic set up can cost you ?300-400

Unless you are going straight into match fishing then I would try and borrow one for the day to see how you get on. If you aren't going to match fish regularly seriously consider whether you need one at all. Good old rod and line is just as effective and in the main cheaper.

J

James Grice

hi ashley i have just recently bought a preston inovations pole for my match fishing, i got a great deal. for ?299 i got a 12.5 m pole with a 1.5m extension, 3 extra tops with 8,16 and 20 elastic, they also put in a 5.7m margin pole with elastic rating 20 which i just caught a decent sized carp on while night fishing only a few foot out.
the pole holds like a tree trunk and the best bit about it is that it is as light as any you could find.
i think this is an allround pole for people who like their fishing.

Tight Lines...!
James