How do I set the drag on a Shimano reel?

• Thread starter Matthew Nightingale
  • Start date
M

Matthew Nightingale

I have a Shimano Baitrunner and a Sahara. One of the things I've never really grasped is how to set the drag. People talk about setting it to 4 lbs but there are no graduations on the reel? Likewise how do I set the Baitrunner feature? I am targetting barbel at the moment.

TIA

Matthew

S

Shrek

Matthew, I don't know about other people but I set the drag as follows. Tighten the drag right up and then wrap some of the reel line around a stout stick or bar of some description.. You then give a couple of sharp tugs. Keep slackening off the drag slightly until the line gives slightly without snapping. It's then a metter of choice as to how much you allow the drag to slip.

Some people don't bother with it at all and just back wind, giving line off as the fish requires it.

With the bait runner, the drag is set using the wheel on the underside of the reel. I normally set this to the slackest setting thereby giving least resistance.

Hope this helps.

J

Jason Lennon

I do pretty much the same thing. I set up my tackle, and before I cast in, I wrap the line around my hand and pull it, I set the tension so that the line is only just coming off, without tightening around my hand and cutting it. you'll get the knack of it. As long as it lets line out, before the line breaks you are ok., but as adrian said, some people like more tension than others. I prefer to have plenty of spare tension just in case.

M

Matthew Nightingale

Thanks guys,

I'll try these at the weekend. Any suggestions for catching barbel on a virtually dry River Ribble!!

Matthew