Back leading

F

Fred Bonney

Can you give me your views on backleading,when it comes to fishing rivers like the Trent.
On the basis that I could be fishing with say up to a 6oz feeder/lead at distance,with my rod aimed skyward,there is a chance of fish bumping my line and spooking.
Would it be more logical for me to use a smaller feeder/lead with a further lead say 3ft up the line pinning the line to the bottom?
Any thoughts please?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Because of this Fred I use up to 4 feet of fluorocarbon hooklength.

This has worked for me yet I don't doubt that back leading might also be a good idea

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A small flying back lead will work well Fred, keeping the line on the bottom where it matters.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks gents,I'm trying a few things this weekend,although the frost up here this morning and with the threats of snow on Sunday,they may not be conclusive.I think old Boris will be slumbering at less than 45deg!!

F

Fred Bonney

Still,there's always Chub,Bream and Roach to be had and maybe a decent Perch, or two.

F

Fred Bonney

Well,I was going to try out the methods and a new bait I am testing for a new company,but not today thankyou.
After sliding my way along and down the flood banks of the tidle Trent,I decided that even I wasn't barmy enough to get my tackle out. So when the winter settles in and down,I'll try again!