Blog Comments

Couldn't agree more, it definitely has it's benefits. Also - and it sounds like you're going down this route anyway - I believe fishing rivers is actually a little better for you from the physical perspective. Typically, there's a longer walk from where you park your car (or in my case sometimes, my bike) down to the swim... and then also, a number of river methods lend themselves to moving around a bit more. You mentioned drop shotting, you'll definitely be on the move with that one, also chub fishing in the winter for me tends to involve fishing three or four different swims in the space of a three or four hour session. I fished the Wye in June, with 5 other fishing mates and we were spread over a good mile and a half. A couple of times during our session (that started at 5am and finished after 8pm) I made the walk from my swim in the centre up to the top of the stretch and down to the bottom and then back again. Partly to see how everyone was getting on but also just to get some blood flowing and get a good look at the whole stretch we were on just in case there was a prime swim I was missing. I also left the main swim I was in and headed half a mile downstream with a float rod and waders to do some trotting. I guess the point is, it was the very opposite of just sitting there watching the world go by... but even though it was baking hot, I'd come back to the main swim feeling re-energised and invigorated and ready to concentrate again. What I've always said to the people who ask - "why do you go fishing"... is that it makes a part of my brain - the one that is only concerned with the mortgage and work - totally switch off and have a good rest. Whereas the other part - which deals with bait presentation, swim selection and what type of hooklength to use - goes in to overdrive!
    I only wish I had taken it up earlier in life. Living here in this part of London, there were no fishing venues on our doorstep. I don't remember any of my mates going fishing. Later in life, it might have been an option but by the time I could get about easier I was more interested in girls!

I have never moved out of the area and so when I did get interested I had to find places to fish. I was going to do it with my brother, he now lives out in Kent and has a fishery on his doorstep and that is where we started. It has just got better from there

I am now moving on to rivers and have tried a few. I can see how people prefer river fishing and I am looking forward to the cooler months this year to get out there and upset a few perch and mybe the odd pike.

Ralph.
    Fishing doesn't do me any good physically in fact it can be just the opposite but mentally it helps a lot. Some of the problems I have are possibly down to the fishing I did when I was younger and a lot dafter when the fish was the only thing that mattered and enduring things made it all the better when it came along.

Doesn't matter if I don't catch much even just being out of the house is enough, even posting on FM helps its like a chat on the bank.

I cant imagine what life would have been like without angling I am though sure I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much or met the people I have anglers and none anglers.
    No doubt about it Ralph fishing gets you out of the stress of work and the more mundane aspects of life! It brings mindfulness whether one catches or not! I am missing it already! Keep up the good work! This forum has a lot of good people on it!
    Generally I think it is good for health and well being. Doctors are often advising people with depression and other problems that walking, fresh air and an interest in nature improves thier well being. I can believe that. We can become too insular especially these days, everything at home but 4 walls can become depressing without you even realizing it. Fishing is a good hobby to have under the belt.