Stalking Rod

Bonefish

Reaction score
Hi All !
My first post :)
I usually use a pod and 2 12ft 2.5tc rods etc, but I really want to get a short stalking rod, to wander about with some floating bread after work in the summer on my local pond. Or maybe even a little mullet fishing...
But which rod ?

Ive found four good looking stalkers, but no decent reviews and precious little info, so I thought i'd ask you chaps (and chap-esses?)

I'm after a short rod to avoid bushes, with power to hold good carp, but not a broom stick. Something to flick bread crust or maybe very light legers (1/2 oz etc.)

The four...
Abu Segra - 7'6" - 6to12lb mainlines.
Fox Stalker - 9ft
Fox Bonsai - 6ft - 2.25 or 2.75 tc
Greys stalker - 7ft or 9ft

Any help is much appreciated guys....

Regards.
Bones.

F

Frothey

why do you need it short? lots of trees/undergrowth your going to be poking through? a short rod wont pick the line up as quickly as a longer one.
how big are the carp? if they go to mid-doubles an avon type rod will be ideal, especially for the mullett where you could be trotting the float a little way.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I've got the Fox Stalker, superb, doesw the job just right.

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Does anybody have any feedback on the Fox tourist rod? Its 12ft but breaks down into 6 parts.

Bonefish

Reaction score
Hmmm....

Short? - Fair bit of undergrowth and overhanging trees. Also ease of carrying and general use.

Carp Size? - Mid doubles (15 or so?) and bigger with luck :)
Mostly Carp stalking or fiddling about in the margins for stuff. Maybe even have enough guts to flick a pike lure about off a boat. Im sure theres a short stick with the right action and power for me out there.

Jungle stick - Just found this one recently but cant find any decent pics, info or reviews.

Fox Stalker - Another good looking rod. Dont know much about the speck though.

Greys - Great looking rod with high quality, but I cant find its test curve info or line wieght rating or anything like that.

Anyone know of any sites with more than just the usual sales pitch for any of the above ?

Im also trying to put together a conversion table for line Line weight / TC / Casting Wieght etc etc, because so many rods are measured in different ways, and if your used to one way, the others dont always make sense.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

I think you will find the Fox too soft for chucking a lure, although to be honest unless you are a perfectionist then it works OK.

I have a 9ft Nash, but cannot remember the model, its a lovely little rod, but I got it for ?20 so didn't really think much about it. If I was to be honest though, my Avon Rod works well enough for stalking.

Bonefish

Reaction score
I think the Abu Segra (7'6" 6to12lb mainline) would be good for what I want, and the Fox Bonsai 6ft 2.25 or 2.25 seems good.
I just wanted to ask the fellas with more experience, in case I was missing out on an obviously better rod I didnt know of.
So many rods are advertised, but with very little info.
Take the greys Stalker for example - Lots of 'sell', but no wieght rating or test curve, so no idea how it might feel or compare. And very few if any shops, will have several different ones in stock at the same time so you can take a look first hand.

Bonefish

Reaction score
Hi Rik.
Nice to hear from the writer of the many articles Ive been reading!
The greys sound georgous dont they? But there is no rating. I have heard they are a bit soft, but the write up makes them sound quite tough.
Good quality rings and a good price though.
The weight ratings or tc are the only things to go by without holding them, so without that, Im a bit lost.

B

Big Rik

the only word of warning I can offer, is to NOT go for an inner stalker (where the line runs thru the middle of the rod) I had one of these previously which was absolutely ideal for one particular lake I was fishing, but it was a total disaster.
I had the rod replaced 4 times and in the end I got my money back.
Rings pinging off, line sticking inside, tip snapped etc etc and this was a supposed 3lb TC.

Definitely one to steer clear of.

Glad you're reading my stuff, but are you getting any useful info from it?

Bonefish

Reaction score
Oh dear !
I must admit, I had seen that one, and wasnt too sure about the line being inside. Good idea, but badly done so far I guess. Will miss that one then!

I reckon that as I fish with 12ft all the time, a 9ft stalker is all too similar, and not different enough to warrant the cost. 6ft might not be quite enough, so based on length, the Abu at 7ft6" seems about right.
I love the little Fox Bonsai though, and at 2.75tc seems well tough. But is 6ft 'too' short I ask myself?
Then again, if I can find out the test curve or wieght rating of the greys, then maybe the 7ft is a contender?

Hmmm... looks like a race between the Abu Segra, Fox Bonsai and Greys Stalker then...

Yes, your stuff is always useful! :)
But how about an extensive and indepth test of the top brand Stalker rods? :)

W

Wolfman Woody

Hey Rik - classy site that Greys one.

I have a couple of Greys Prodigy 2.5 lbs and they are beautifully made. Why worry about a rating when they say it will do the job? The weave on them is fantastic and i can't see them being wrong.

In fact - now I see that stalker one I might get it just for chucking out lures and barbel fishing. At one time most stronger rods were only 9 - 10 feet in length.

F

Frothey

the action is as (if not more) important than test curve.....

Bonefish

Reaction score
I understand what you mean Monkey.
Classy rods with excellent history, but is what THEY say by 'tough' the same as what 'I' say by tough? Not that I want a broom stick, but when put into words intstead of figures, its all down to personal opinion as to whether something is light or heavy etc.
It certainly looks spot on, but I cant afford ?50 on the wrong rod for me.

Ive been thinking and reading about this all day now. I reckon the next one to drop from the equation is the fox. I just dont think they will have the build quality or pedigree of the others. Besides, I reckon 7ft is about right for what I want.
So its the Abu or the Greys then...

Anyone own a Greys Stalker and fancy haviny a guess at its test curve / casting weight ?

Bonefish

Reaction score
Action - Flipping good point Frothey.
Ive had a brief look at the Abu, and liked it, but want more info on the greys before I commit.
Oh! to be wealthy enough to buy both !

J

jason fisher

you could have a look at the fox 10 foot spinning rod 10 to 60 gramme casting weight.

Bonefish

Reaction score
Nice one guys.
Good to have some other anglers to bounce ideas and thoughts off.

Cheers...