How can you tell when carp are spawning?

Old Nick

Reaction score
Reason I ask is the lake I was fishing today had carp crashing around the margins all morning, but couldn't get a bite for love nor money even when putting the bait right next to them.

I wondered whether this behaviour indicated they were spawning and therefore not feeding - I prefer this reason for blanking rather than the alternative which is that my new fancy dan baits don't work!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If my experiences are anything to go by I think you are dead right!!

Whenever I've seen carp spawning/mating its the same outcome-they just don't want to know about food-much like the human race I would suggest!!
Generally speaking(and it does vary a great deal-water to water)crashing about normally indicates spawning,or a prelude to it-some waters the action is staggering and some not to much at all...
Personally I just stop fishing and watch them rushing around and try checking out the sizes for future reference....from others I've spoken to not too many people have seen this happen and those I've seen has been purely by chance!

apparently Redmire Pool has one of the most spectacular spawing displays of all-see 'A Passion for Angling'CD-woth a watch!!

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
The most graphic example I have seen of how preoccupied Carp can become when spawning occured at Knighton reservoir ,I was sat with reeds to my left that were thrashing about as if in a hurricane , on investigation my mate and I stood over these Fish and could see a large carp presumably female being almost lifted out on to the bank by hoards of smaller males. It was possible to actually put your hand on them as they seemed oblivious to our presence.

Last edited:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Jizz-tastic....lol

Very good video. I've seen carp spawning or at least going through the motions before but not quite making a din like that.

maver man

Reaction score
Most the time the spawning tubicles are very visible to sight and touch, jizz on your hands, net and mat, reeds and other margin plants absolutely demolished and the constant sound of nuclear bombs going of at the edge of the pond.
Is happening at my lake now and managed to winkle 2 stunners out only 11lb and 11lb 9oz from a quite part of the lake.