Pods or Banksticks!!!!

N

Nick Gardner

I have a Gardner Black Shadow rod pod and have been quiet happy with it until I was doing a 48hr session on a private lake and just as I was setting up, I was screwing on the front buzzer bar and the plastic hole it winds into on the pod, split and now the front buzzer bar can just go round and round.

I have seen many Carp Anglers moving away from Pods and using stainless steel bank sticks which they prefer. Can any of you guys that use this method explain why it should be better than a Pod or is it different horses for different courses?????

Thanks

Nick

R

Rob Brownfield

I use both. I prefer banksticks (goalpost set up)if the bank is sady or grassey, and a pod if its rocky, stone or wooden. Pods arnt as stable as i would like, without being pegged down, and if u are fishing a very tight baitrunner, u run the risk of the whole pod getting pulled in.

Rod rests are the only option when having to fish "in" the water, such as over reeds etc. and I have 5 foot long jobbies for this.

T

Tony Lacey

I use a fox euro pod kit top piece of kit the mutts nuts had it over 4 years. Its very stable even when using 3 rods got it at a really good price at Tackle Box at Dartford. Hope it helps Tony.L.

D

Dave Langford

I use bank sticks all the time,but i am going to maurepaire soon where they dont allow bank sticks
I will have to invest in a pod and the euro pod sounds ideal.
dave

David Preston

Reaction score
The Dinsmores Spiral Point banksticks are very good - they go into almost anything. I use buzzbars that work either as goalposts or centre mounted (three threads), and can almost always get a nice solid setup.

T

The Gaffer

Hi all, for long distance work or when fishing over gravel bars I use my Stainless SAS Transformer pod to get the rod tips up high.

When I'm fishing mid range or close in I go for single bank-sticks all the time as I like the rods pointing at the terminal tackle.
My reason for this was I had two big fish on two different occasions by striking when I saw the rod tip 'twitch'!
On both occasions my bite alarms didn't sound even though they are set very sesitive.

Other than that it depends on the bank, there's nothing worse than trying to get bank-sticks into hardcore!

Atb,

Gaffer.

R

Rob Brownfield

Forgot to mention, I use the Chris Brown pod system (ala Jim Gibbinson). It can be used as pod or stand alone banksticks or as a goal post setup. It costs ?75 and included everything, including 3 buzzer bars that adjust. Well worth the money!..and VERY solidly built (had mine for 8 years now, my mate has had his for 14!)

N

Nick Gardner

Rob,

Can you still get those Chris Brown system and if so, where?

Nick

R

Rob Brownfield

Nick

I believe that you can. I last saw it advertised about 6 months ago in one of the carp mags, or was it Predator mag..not sure. I will get the phone number off my pod (I think its still on it) and let u have that. Hopefully he may still have the same number.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, u sure u dont employ a couple of guys to hold your rods for u? :eek:)

P

Philip Inzani

I use both. The advantage of banksticks (I'm talking a buzzer on each bankstick not a buzz bar with mutiple buzzers on one bankstick) is that you can set the rods up in a more efficient way. For example you can have one rod tucked under some over hanging branches, a second rod positioned out in the water to avoid some marginal snags, a third rod set high to get the line over a bar etc etc. Also with low resistance set-ups it pays to have the rod pointing at the hook, all of this is just about impossible to do with all your rods set on a pod. Plus side for a pod other than on solid platforms where you cannot get a bankstick in is convenience really, they are nice and tidy, no separate banksticks and buzzers clanking around when you walk and nice and simple to set-up once you arrive.

Ron...never heard of the "forked stick" model....is it available in stainless ? (-;

C

Carp Angler

Ron said "I use a forked stick cut from the hedgerow....."

I'd pull you up for unauthorised swim clearence.

C

Carp Angler

I left at lunchtime, as I previously said I was going to.

Good job it was only a mini get together as it was pretty packed.

Half decent cooked brekkie though.

S

Stewart Bloor

Of course, my mind is not what it used to be, Phil...so, how did you all get on...my SWAG box is empty, I was expecting a report...

D

Dave Johnson

Coops is boasting about a 27 pound bream, that gave him a run of 450 miles-some fight.

Riks dead quiet, dont know what that means but the food was'nt half bad.....

N

Nick Gardner

Hi Guys,

Although the thread has seemed to have wandered alittle from the original question, I thought I would add that I got a email from Mr.J Gardner of Gardner tackle (must be Richards brother) saying they would be happy to replace the broken part for ?6.00. Not bad service I think, but am still in the market for a decent "Goal Post" setup ideas.

Nick

D

David Will

Pod when needed is a Cygnet without quicklock , this ruins them.Banksticks wherever possible , these are Gardner Panthers

S

Stephen Booth

Hi Nick i use the Fox Quattro pod. Although of its hefty price tag of ?127.99 the pod offers many advantages to the angler. When fishing large waters eg pits or continental waters it offers you the opportunity to but the rod tips up to aviod any marginal weed. On the other hand the rods can be layed onto it so as they are flat. The pod offers a goal post style set-up alondside traditional pod benefits. It has a wide base and a very low centre of gravity, this give exceptional stability. The pod also offers you the chance of using 13ft rods as it can be extended. All in all this is a must have piece of equipment that i personally could not do without.

Good luck in your quest
Steve Booth