Broke my "pin" PB whats yours?

tortoise100

Reaction score
Everything went according to plan on my last visit to this private members lake during the walk around with Polaroids on the previous visit we saw loads of carp swimming around at our feet on various swims and I vowed to stalk it if I ever got another chance to fish the lake as I was a guest .

I did get a chance last Wednesday so I set up my new £10 8ft quiver rod (40g casting weight so plenty of power)with my "Leeds" center pin (leeds means it has bearings so not exactly a pin)with brand new ultima power carp flouro coated line in 12lb the smallest float i could buy about 2" straight waggler held on with float rubbers so I could see the bottom and top for fishing it under the surface and a small swivel .
I had a 9lb incognito hook length with a withy pool size 8 with no hair so I could mount cat meat threaded down the line straight on the hook and the weight of the bait and hook would hold the float down.
I had my own mix of hemp boiled with paprika and chilly powder and threw in two hand fulls lowered my meat in then sat in the mud to wait .

Ten minutes latter I saw my first fish of the day not very big but at this point any fish would do, a minute or two latter I noticed another then another and they were getting bigger , soon there were six in my swim but not taking the bait so i tried to lower it onto them I though I had spooked them at one point but they didn't go far.

To my amazement the largest of the six went for my bait I didn't see it mouth the bait as it was just out of sight but did see the back half of the carp swirl as it lowered onto it ,the float hesitated then it was of and I was in!

The fight on the pin was one of the best ever loads of control and the little hollow full of snags was a great place to test out the power of the new rod ,it coped with no problems and I was able to turn the fish away from snags on two occasions before getting it to the net.

A new Pin PB of 11:10 was the result and I am very happy I will be going to a commercial on Saturday darenth fishing complex in dartford to try and beat it as I know sneaking the bait in under some brambles works well in certain places but the water is always to cloudy to see the action .

Carp on the pin is wicked fun it's compatible to using braid for the first time in terms of feel and connection to the fish , maybe braid on the pin is the next step ?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Congratulations DGF, sounds heart stopping :)

About this £10 rod? I'm after an 8' one for my local canal and had been looking at the TFG compact or the new Shimano Forcemaster, what's the one you've got and where from as it's around a fifth of the others it sounds worth a look.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well done Froggy, a double on the 'pin is quite something, isn't it?
Not sure about braid for close-up work unless you can instantly switch into "Soft hands" mode and use your wrists as shock-absorbers to help out a locked-up rod...blowed if I can!

tortoise100

Reaction score
Hi the rod was from masterbates1.com but it was his last one not sure if he is getting any more but the rod is called "mastercast tourer multi feed" I am sure it would cope with a much bigger fish . They do some very good bate at that shop the owner is heathrow bait services I have his latest pre glug called jizz you can guess why .
His other new is called f***y batter and is made out of dead fish essence but I think that is going to be a catfish bait both these baits have only just gone on sale this week .

I am not sure about the braid I have only ever used it on a multiplier for pike in 60lb (means you don't loose any lures the hooks just bend instead of the line snapping)and as hook lengths at 15lb .