Landing Nets

G

Glen Howell

Does anyone else have a problem with landing nets? on the rare occasions when I actually catch a decent fish I always seem to struggle with the net. I am concentrating on lifting the fish from the water to the unhooking mat and the six foot pole always seems to knock into something! I tend to fish swims that are quite cramped, not those double bivvy swims that you see in the fishing mags. How does everyone else manage? do you remove the net from the pole before taking the fish to the mat?

I am looking at the JRC XLite as a replacement. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Jonathan Lungley

Reaction score
For a start I always fish with a rig I can unclip from the safety bead for two reasons, one is to have the option of pulling it through a pva bag and then attaching it to the business end, and the other is so when, like you in the rare event I have a take, I can unclip it in the net at the waters edge and remove the rod from the equation.

Next I pull the arms out of the spreader block and roll them down to lessen the drop to the fish, so when I pick up the fish my arms are not out stretched and above my head putting unnecessary stress on my back, and at my age that is a factor. (Old Fart) The important thing is to get a system and stick to it as rushing and struggling might damage the fish or you.

Best wishes for the New Year, and good luck with the netting.

Regards,

Jonathan.

F

Frothey

use one of the "pontoon" type floats that fit near the spreader block (i think that fishrite do one, look on the link to your left) as they stop the net sinking whilst playing the fish. as jonathon says use a rig that unclips, or just cut the hooklength. and yes, remove the arms from the pole.

B

Big Rik

I have a Hutchy Be-Safe net that with a flick of a sprung button, the pole detaches from the net head allowing me to move the collapsed net with ease to the mat.
here

Fox do a very similar version.
here

C

Cakey

Ive got the fox one .......about 3yrs old now ...superb bit of kit but expensive

G

Glen Howell

Thanks guys...I will take a look at the hutchy and fox versions before I part with the cash.