boilies

pelican5

Reaction score
hi all

i really want to try and make my own boilies,its something ive always wanted to do,not to go into mass production or anything but to just give it a go.
i have a basic base mix from a web site somebody posted on another thread,i have nash scopex no1 liquid but i want to add something else,nuts work great on my local lake and im one for preparing them correctly which is why im not fussed about putting some time into making boilies.
im starting to go further out now to better lakes and having success with nuts id like to add them into my boilies.
the questions are
1, can scopex and nuts go together
2,will chopped or crushed nuts even work in a boilie
3,how can i get nuts into the boilies without losing any flavour
4,would a groundnut oil in the mix work

also something that will benefit the fish, as in something good for them rather than just flavouring and stuff to bulk them up going in,i will take into account anything said on here and try a few different things with all results shown.

thank you for any info in advance,im sure this is a well worn thread so your patience is appreciated

Slatts

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I've added smooth peanut butter to a mix before but a better option (easier to roll) is the ground peanut meal (cc moore) and a drop of almond oil to the mix.

Scopex shouldn't be a problem with the mix unless you want the nut flavour to be the signature for your bait in which case go for something less powerful or just let the natural flavour of the mix do it for you.

Cakey

Reaction score
mr Slatts come and see me with a bucket of Ribena (light) and we will talk boilies

pelican5

Reaction score
thanks Mr Burr i'll look into the cc moore stuff.
hahaha cakey leg humper
cakey i'll get the ribena (light) for you!!!! you ribena terrorist!!!!

quickcedo

Reaction score
If you plan to use scopex with your own mix/blend surely until eaten the fish won't be able to tell yours from another (pos. inferior) scopex flavoured bait. Personally if you insist on using any proprietary flavour then I would reduce the amount to allow the other scents/flavours to come through.
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy what to me is another hobby within a hobby.

pelican5

Reaction score
hi marktodd
thank you,ive only got scopex because that what was rated as an all time good flavour but then i got thinking that i could just buy a packet of shelf life scopex so i need to try something different to the mainstream so its going to be trail and error for a few months unless i hit it off straight away with some luck.
something peanut and other usual banned particles,in a boilie form so no possibility of harming the fish or getting kicked off..............something to get my head around

Roto Fryer

Reaction score
Forget flavours as they are generally for the angler not the fish. Think more about making your boilie fit the profile that a carp needs.
This way they will keep eating it! Kevin Maddox's tests, years and years ago, showed that boilies with the wrong profile can be ignored for approximately 28 days!

bill2

Reaction score
Excellent point MarkTodd!!! only... now i have to think real hard about even more stuff!! aaarrrrggggghhhhhhh! .. ... .... bring it on! Whats one more headache among many! ;p

gentle

Reaction score
Try Tigernuts. Prepare them as usual then let them dry out for a day on a window sill. Get yourself a smoothie maker and annihilate them in that until they turn to mush. A little bit of honey in the boilie mix seems to do well too.

Anything CC moore do you can usually pick up a cheaper alternative at an animal food store. Use your imagination.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
This is an area I've not really dipped in to so please excuse any ignorance!!

However, if I got three handfulls of semolina flour, two handfuls of dynamite halibut groundbait, mixed them both together and then added beaten egg to the dry ingredients and boiled the resulting balls... would that make a boilie?

Would the resulting boilies need to be frozen?

What's in a "base mix" that makes it so expensive?

(please forgive the hijacking of the thread too, hopefully its still on the same track..)

richiekelly

Reaction score
yes but very basic,soya and semolina are in most/all shop bought baits,the reson that shop bought baits are expensive is because the people selling them are good at marketing and get away with silly prices,dont belive half of what manufactures tell you its mostly marketing and there is and never will be a substitute for finding the fish and presenting a bait in a decent way.
the bait you mentioned makng would need freezing,or air drying.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Ok this is my bait. I've been using it for just over a year now and those of you who have fished with me can testify to how good it is (or not). It appears to work for just about all fish and can be boiled or made and used as a paste.
Base Mix:- 4oz finely ground Vitalin
4oz semolina
3oz good quality fishmeal
1oz pre- digested fishmeal

Take 1 can of Whiskas supermeat (Rabbit flavour) mash and add base mix for paste.
For boilies, 1 large egg to every 2.5oz catmeat, mix well. add enough base mix til paste becomes stiff but not dry. Wrap in cling film and put in fridge for half hour (this makes it easier to role). Roll into balls and boil til they float for soft boilies (best). for a harder bait simply air dry or boil longer.
A bye product of the boilies is if you grind them up when fresh they make an excellent method mix.
If you are fishing for Barbel simply roll the boilie paste until it's 3/4" thick then boil til it floats. This can be used the same a luncheon meat.
1 last thing add a good amount of hot chilli powder to any of the above can have a good result (hint hint)