What is an edge?

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I keep reading that this bait or that rig modification will give me an edge?

What is an edge?

When does an edge become an advantage? Or how many edges combine to become an advantage?

And what is an "awesome edge"? Apart, that is, from being an oxymoron.

From Puzzled Carper of Kent.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I guess Jim it's the sort of language of the gutter that many yonger people use today.

It may come from knife; or "Cutting edge of technology".

"State of the Art" is another phrase that is is so wrongly used today. In most cases it should be termed "The state of the science".

As we know, science and art are two differerent concepts.

G

Glen Howell

According to Roget's New Millennium Thesaurus, the defition of an edge is "leading position".
I wonder if the size of the 'lead' will determine the amount of edge achieved. Perhaps 4oz or more will lead to an advantage.....

The same source lists "superiority" as a synonym for "edge". Is this the feeling gained by the authors of these articles?

I will leave it up to you to determine the most appropriate definintion for awesome
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=awesome

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I guess an 'edge' is an 'advantage' Jim!

I don't how how a particular bait can provide an edge - an advantage, yes, if its already been established as an acceptable food-source???

I suppose any sort of tweek to an existing rig could produce an 'edge' and many would claim just that, but difficult to know when the rig is at the lake bottom just how it would provide such!

Perhaps the first use of a marker set-up gave the angler an edge against his fellows?

Perhaps a sonar device or echo sounder provides an edge over the angler who uses his marker set-up to 'lead around'?

Just a few thoughts thrown in the pot, so to speak!

L

Les Clark

Ron, Why is it the language of the gutter ? ,becouse you don`t use it ,therefore it must be ?
You are a pompous old git sometimes.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to refer to talk of "edges" as the language of the gutter! But it is an example of the cliche-ridden, sloppy syntax that features heavily in angling writing in general, and carp writing in particular.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Ja well, I suppose I was a bit OTT (There I go) on that one.

Sorry.

Comes with being a pompous old fart I suppose.

"Cliche-ridden sloppy syntax"

I like that Jim.

"Sitting on a Shedful" would be typical, as would be: "Awesome" when describing a fish....... :eek:)

Steve Marsh

Reaction score
who in 'da gutter bra' ya ain diggin' dat..

any dialect could be called "Cliche-ridden sloppy syntax" you knows it spar...!!...

R

Robert Woods 1

I think an "edge" in fishing is something we try and when it works we think it is an "edge" over what others are doing...???

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having an edge is stoping thinking about having an edge, and getting on with your fishing.

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

If you don't want an edge in carp fishing, use boilies. They have two sides, but no edges.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cut a boilie into quarters, then you can have an edge and it will give you a new angle.

N

NottmDon

lmao@baz magic!
The "Edge" is a guitar player with U2.
I suppose in angling terms the "edge" is something that helps you put more fish on the bank than the other bloke. Almost as mythical as the "magic wonder bait" that does the same. Most people who have the mythical "edge" actually get it by hard work, logical thought, and plenty of sessions on their favoured venue. Its an old one but when told he was "lucky" an angler replied "yes and the more I practise the luckier I get", maybe the edge is of a similar ilk?