surface fishing

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
hi there some help for carp surface fishing which i have just started to have a go at should i use my carp rod with 2and half test curve or could i use a shorter rod like a spinning rod or boat rod and if so any paticular weight or line type to use or combination.
just a note i am a novice at fishing only started last year as i had to give up the old spoil a good walk sport.
any help would be appriciated.

W

Wolfman Woody

I use a 1?lb Sportex blank.

Funny how they make spod and marker rods, but not many make a specific floater rod.

J

jason fisher

woohoo one less golfer the worlds already a better place.

personally i just use the softest rod i happen to have with me.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
thanks for the posts so far as jason fisher's post definately true trying to convert a few of the golfing buddies to fishing.
still have clubs and trolly thinking of turning them into a cart to carry fishing gear.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
i have spoken to one of the drivers who deliver's to our works today and he told me he uses this setup.
7'Boat fishing rod & Krystonite Super Mono 12lb with a fox bubble controller and it works well for him.
think will give it a try.
will let you know how it work's out for me.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Fox and Wychwood to surface rods I think they are about 2 1/2 lb. Personaly i use a 1 1/2 lb unless at range.

I wouldnt like to use anything under 12' because i want to pick up the floating line fast to get a positive strike.

I use a small mitchell reel for floater and stalking. with 8lb line which i spray with leeda fly line floatant.

I use a simple controller float set up with enterprise tackles dog mixer on the hook it has a small recess to slip in a split shot i then hook it through the top. The shot makes sure the hook is out of the water and the carp cant see it as it approaches from underneath.

Hope that helps good luck.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
thanks benny some good info had a look on the tackle shop got some floater rods will have a good think before i buy.

also in passing just been watching total fishing on sky had a spot on surface fishing one guy was using a fly rod.
i suppose this is a good method of floater fishing as you have the extra weight of the fly line to help with presentation.
if anybody has some views on this method would be helpfull as i recently got a second hand fly rod at a car boot.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
i have never tried it but i have heard of a lot of people doing it its supposed to feel awsome with a centerpin and light rod. I have also heard of other people catching on flies. The carp must see them all the time its the equivelent of a natural like bloodworm and thats emptying lakes at the min.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
had a go on saturday used my ron thompson 11ft carp rod took a few dog biscuits up that had been soaked in stawberry bait enhancer.
used 12lb krystonite muchlin on the line with fox bubble float see what you mean about line pickup at range managed to get three of the top and two on boilies.
only problem my mate was with me and as soon as i picked some up he nicked some of my bait and he had severn of the top the git.
seemed to drop of a bit when the wind died down they seemed to take the bait more confidently when the lake had a bit of chop to it.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
tried again today different lake.
only had carp up to 8lb since i started fishing last year.
so i was chuffed when i landed a 14lb 8oz carp put piccie in my gallery.

G

Geoff Cowen

Just bought a Fox Controller 11' 1.75 test. I will let you know how I get on with it. It does look the business.

Yacko

Reaction score
Carl,
good result, had to remember how to find the Gallery but did and saw the picture.
Catching on the top can be very frustrating.
Yacko

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
many thanks.
yes it can be very frustrating can't it had two common and one mirror at the weekend lost 2 just at the net and missed countless takes.
but it's great way of fishing realy gets the pulse racing when you see them slurping up the free offerings and getting closer to your bait.

p.s. my mate who was with me had 5 common and 2 mirror nearly made him walk the 20 miles home.

Durk

Reaction score
I use my prodigy barble with the avon tip! sort enough to cast lightish weights but got enough grunt to bank the little blighters!