Distance surface fishing

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
I fish a lot of weedy shallow lakes that need surface baits at range up to 100yds wont bother going over rigs but to get floaters out there I have started using frozen balls of groundbait as large as I can fit in my catapult, but the centre is full of floaters take them in an ice box an fire em out doesnt take long for groundbait to defrost and fall away and floaters are presented right where you need em....I suppose this only works if the fish arent easily spooked but if you are talking PVA bags with stones I guess that isnt an issue.....
The other way but not good for gettling lots of freebies out is the alkaseltzer rig piece of elastic threaded with floaters (drilled holes lot larger than elastic) put a piece of alkaseltzer in stop loo keeping elastic tight as possible, tablet disolves elastic fires off freebies.....an old rig but useful at times....

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
a zig rig is a rig which allows you to fish at different depths of a lake. Very usefull in summer when carp are often sunning themselves in the upper layers.

A zig rig consists of a long hooklength with a floating bait attatched you can either use a fixed lead and you will be fishing at that depth off the bottom.

The other way to fish it is with a running lead and a wide run ring (to allow line to pass it easily). Cast it out tight to the lead and pay line out to the required depth.
a good way to fish on the top at range.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Surely you need a very bouyant bait? And could be a bit tricky on a weedy bottom to get line out through ring....

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
kiwi. You are best using a fixed length thsi is not a problem when its only a couple of feet. If your casting over 12 foot of hook link. Then 2 problems arise one how do you cast and how do you land the fish.

To cast a long hooklink there are various ways from coiling it up in a container or even laying it on a board and casting of the ground. Just be careful of were the hook is flying when you cast as it will not always follow the lead at first.

To land a fish do not use a overlong hooklength when fishing on your own this is were fishing with a mate is advisable.