Distance surface fishing

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I need to target surface feeding carp. I have tried to modify a spod for floaters by adding a lead to the front but it does not cast well at all usually spilling the contents no more than a rod length out.

i was thinking of using a pva bag with stones in attatched to the line but i can forsee all sorts of problems.

Anyone tried this or got any ideas of how to modifie a spod for this purpose?

F

Frothey

use the leaded spod, and put some dissolving foam in the end to stop the spill.

O

Ozz

Put a stone into the pva bag to add weight and it also tends to stop any tangles as the weight acts like a boom.
Fished a few waters with this method and its worked ok.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
What sort of distance are you fishing. You could try the Beachcaster rig. Have used this to good effect.

F

Frothey

search back, there was a thread a while ago...... more having a chuckle at the "death rig" thread.
many people think the beachcaster rig and the way some people use it has too many flaws, and its been blamed for fish damage in the past. but then as has been said, its not the rig its how and when you use it that counts.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The way i rig up it's no more than a running paternoster rig. With a couple of stop knots to catch the line. When a carp is hooked it soon pulls over these as it would if the line breaks.

I have to admit i have seen variations on this were they use swivels to lock the float as a large controller. these are definetly death rigs.

B

Big Rik

if you're distance fishing on the surface, then shouldn't you be drifting the bait out to the fish anyway.
Then there's no need to spod/pult baits out for miles.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
My local shop as just got the TFG Surface missiles in at upto 40g these should be able to get you out a long way.

F

Frothey

not if you use the special shaped mixers that go against the wind....

W

Wolfman Woody

"not if you use the special shaped mixers that go against the wind...."

Are those the ones to stop dogs farting?

F

Frothey

thats the ones. just dont stand behind them if they sneeze!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Tried zigging they dont seem to take it off a zig to be honest i think its been done to death. They could be over a hundred yards away people on my lake dont try for them on the top this distance out. Its getting freebies to them thats the problem. They need quite a bit of feeding untill there confident.

the way the leaded spod flies youd do well to cast it 50 yards its just so erratic.

I did think i could even it out a bit more by wrapping lead wire round the end of a korda skyliner spod.