Tackle insurance

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have your tackle (ooh matron)insured. How much you pay. Could you give me advice on who to go with.

Who gives cheaper quotes and does anyone know if a home insurer will cover it on the bank.

Also am i covered in the shed?

N

NottmDon

course your covered in a shed ........if its got a roof on it lol! Be interested in this one myself benny as its one of those things I keep mulling over but never actually get around to. WIth all these sticky fingered gits about I should know better!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I ment is the tackle insured by the tackle insurer in the shed they say things like it needs a 5 point lock etc whats the use of that if you can pull it apart at the seams?

Not sure if home insurance will give me good enough cover?

G

Ged

If it is worth over ?500 sods, then you need to insure as a specific item. Some companies will insure fishing tackle as sports equiptment. At present, I have named camera equiptment and the wife's glittery stone in a ring as seperate insured items. Costs a little more, but you get good cover. Also try and get new for old, not just replacement. As regards to who to insure with! who ever is cheepest and gives the best cover.

Alnath

Reaction score
I use Tackleguard (as seen advertised on here) its very good as i could select an option where i could go to sleep on the job so to speak.

I think it was 49 quid for ?2000 worth of cover, i got ?2000 worth cos if i do need to claim my Progidys wont suddenly become X-flights etc.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Just being quoted by that Tackleguard and it was well over ?280 for my lot! No way paying that much

Alnath

Reaction score
Only way i could get it that high was for 5000 quids worth of tackle, with night fishing, unattended theft from a car and cover for 120 days over seas. If that is similar to what you put i would not consider that unreasonable given all the amount of gear insured and how you intend to use it.

L

Les Clark

Got mine on the house insurance with saga up to ?5000 away from the house .

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Hi all when I was back in th UK I had mine covered on house insurance and it was all stored in the shed.....at least 6grands worth, you would be surprised how much you have actually got and it is worth doing a stocktake before you go to the insurance companies, a lot of people only think about rods/pole/reels etc but how ,many 3pound floats have you got spools of line disgorgers, weights feeedesr banksticks etc etc. I did a stock take during some really bad weather, the wife said I just liked playing with my tackle (oohh matron) I even layed out all terminal tackle ie float boxes and took pictures as proof of numbers etc also took pictures of all other tackle assembled including things like pole with all 6 sets of top fours alongside so there is no doubting your claim. And visit local police station and ask them about security marking, I have all my tackle security marked with a pin #, invisible to naked eye....and very easy to do.
One word of advice is to ask the specific question "IS my tackle insured if it is stored in the shed/garage/house etc etc" when you get an answer repeat the value and ask them to confirm in writing that the tackle/sum discussed is insured as discussed. The insurance companies will do this no problem, but then you have it in writing if and when you need iut as I did when someone decided they needed my match holdall full of poles/rods more than I did....ba####ds Anyway it all came out well for me as I had the letter and no arguments from I thinkl it was Eagle Start at the time (a few years ago now) and 2 wks later I had a DHL van pull up at my house with lovely new rods/poles/holdall/umberella/net poles/ it was like the best Xmas ever.

Just be careful who you use and ask for all acceptance of cover in a seperate letter.
All in all I never had trouble insuring gear on house insurance so never needed seperate insurance, and even if the house insurance companies tell you your premium will be higher by 30quid better than paying out 200 to a tackle insurance company....
Kiwi

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Hi all when I was back in th UK I had mine covered on house insurance and it was all stored in the shed.....at least 6grands worth, you would be surprised how much you have actually got and it is worth doing a stocktake before you go to the insurance companies, a lot of people only think about rods/pole/reels etc but how ,many 3pound floats have you got spools of line disgorgers, weights feeedesr banksticks etc etc. I did a stock take during some really bad weather, the wife said I just liked playing with my tackle (oohh matron) I even layed out all terminal tackle ie float boxes and took pictures as proof of numbers etc also took pictures of all other tackle assembled including things like pole with all 6 sets of top fours alongside so there is no doubting your claim. And visit local police station and ask them about security marking, I have all my tackle security marked with a pin #, invisible to naked eye....and very easy to do.
One word of advice is to ask the specific question "IS my tackle insured if it is stored in the shed/garage/house etc etc" when you get an answer repeat the value and ask them to confirm in writing that the tackle/sum discussed is insured as discussed. The insurance companies will do this no problem, but then you have it in writing if and when you need iut as I did when someone decided they needed my match holdall full of poles/rods more than I did....ba####ds Anyway it all came out well for me as I had the letter and no arguments from I thinkl it was Eagle Start at the time (a few years ago now) and 2 wks later I had a DHL van pull up at my house with lovely new rods/poles/holdall/umberella/net poles/ it was like the best Xmas ever.

Just be careful who you use and ask for all acceptance of cover in a seperate letter.
All in all I never had trouble insuring gear on house insurance so never needed seperate insurance, and even if the house insurance companies tell you your premium will be higher by 30quid better than paying out 200 to a tackle insurance company....
Kiwi

J

jason fisher

i've got mine on my house insurance through tsb it's about 20 quid per month for about 20 grands contents cover