Threading Silicone onto Mainline

Dave Rogerson 2

Reaction score
I am having trouble lately with threading 1.5mm Silicone for anti tangle rigs, onto my mainline. Have looked around my local tackle shop but all the have a Pole Elastic Threaders which are far too thick....how does any one else acheive this trick.

Steve Smith 8

Reaction score
hi mate what you need to do is suck some water up the tube to lubricate it .then let it hang down from your fingers ,as you thread the main line ,swist it .remember the tube must be staight.hope this helps

N

NottmDon

I use a pole elastic threader! Different mfgs have different diameters of pole elastic threaders and this is one of those jobs that drives me completely nutzoid! If the pole elastic threader is a bit on the thick side for the silicone I plonk the silicone in a cup of hot water for a few seconds and dip the pole threader into a bit of washing up liquid, it usually does the trick.

Alnath

Reaction score
Hang something on the end so it is hanging straight down but weighted (made easier if you use in line leads for obvious reasons) blow as much water out of it as you can, the dryer the better and make sure the line has a clean cut on the end (no biting it) it will not even touch the sides and you will be surprised at just how quick it goes though.

N

NottmDon

May try that method messen Alnath it really is one of those jobs that either goes like clockwork or goes completely the opposite direction and drives me crackers lol!

C

Cakey

I use 1mm tubing with no probs,I make sure the line is straight with no kinks or bends,cut the line straight and never ever use used tubing .

Alnath

Reaction score
NottmDon i once spent an hour trying to thread ESP big bore, which i bought for the very reason it has a bigger diameter and i still got one piece that was a propper PITA to thread, the weighing it down method works 99% of the time and you can even hang forcepts on the end for it to work.

N

NottmDon

Nice one Alnath thanks for that. Think I will take on board what cakey says as well even though it goes against the grain with me being a tight git :)

C

Cakey

I just cant be arsed with the hassle that used tubing gives me

W

Wolfman Woody

Big Rik told me he didn't like tubing as air can get caught inside and cause it to lift off the bottom scaring the fish.

Lot of us are using lead core these days.

Nick A

Reaction score
Thats right Jeff, Air can get caught inside and lift the line off the bottom.

I use a pole threader, but, then again, i dont use the tubing with the microscopic bore down the middle, so dont get the same problems.