NET DIP

nick arnold

Reaction score
Can anyone help, i've just fished a water where i saw a couple of dead carp in the margins and was told by another angler there that they might have some form of disease there!!Does anyone know of a disinfectant dip i can use on my net/mat/sling before i use it at another venue Cheers for your help.

F

Frothey

best thing to do is leave them to dry out in bright sunshine...just make sure they are bone dry. i sometimes stick the net and sling in the wash, but thats more to get rid of the smell.

W

William Spencer

under no circumstance use jeyes fluid or the like.i fished a venue last year and the owner wanted me to dip my nets/slings/sacks in jeyes.it wasn't until i pointed out that 1 it's a class one marine polutant and 2 it's a skin irritant he went bonkers and kicked everyone off the lake until he could get his hands on a viable dipping solution.

J

John Howard

The only recommended disinfectant is iodine based. It is also poisonous to fish. A minimum of 15 mins., soaking time is required and then the nets need rinsing in copious quantity of fresh water. The disinfectant also has a short life span.
The best method which is also the cheapest is to hang all nets until BONE DRY.
Has anyone thought of the risk (if any) that disease may also be carried on wet lines and bank sticks may hold contaminated water to. Groundbait mixed at a fishery then taken home to be reused may also be contaminated, Just where do we stop ???

D

Deecy

During the last fish kill affecting numerous gravel pits , the Grand Union Canal and the river Colne in the Colne Valley there was a meeting between all the controlling clubs and the EA.One of the recommendations was net dips.This was of course accepted as good advice.All the clubs installed dips and various draconian rules for those who ignored the dips.At the same time it was clearly evident that pits lying no more than 10 feet from the next affected pit were unaffected.One lake I fish lost lots of fish yet the next door pit did not loose a single fish and so on.I clearly witnessed Swans Ducks Cormorants Grebes Rats Coots Moorhens Herons and Dogs blatantly walking,flying and swimming from one pit to the other on a daily basis with scant regard for rules.The EA if will tell you when pressed that net dips are something they advise because in actual fact they have no idea how to prevent these deaths and net dips simply give clubs something to do that makes them feel like they are somehow in control.Dry your gear out if you think it will help and don't fish waters where SVC has occured before.At the end of the day until someone comes up with a cure for Carp deaths iin spring it will keep on occuring.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Net dips only work if the solution is renewed every couple of days ,preferably each day, ---Some clubs and fisheries have net dips and hardly ever renew the solution in them so they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard

W

Wolfman Woody

If you do use an iodine based (the best) net dip then a minimum of 20 minutes is required. And that's in fresh solution.

Yes, 20 MINUTES!

Are you prepared to wait 20 minutes? I don't think so. Best to dry your nets completely in sunshine if possible, but certainly in open air. The main cause of fish deaths is a poor stocking policy.

N

NottmDon

Its a difficult one this. I did read that Jeyes was good but as pointed out above it is an irritant and would need to be washed out itself afterwards. I use jeyes for disinfecting my greenhouse and washing it out is a lot easier said than done! Also read that the commercials use stuff that can cause as many problems as it solves and idealy it should be washed off before its put into a lake again! I have a few contacts in the koi carp world and no doubt could find you a product if it puts your mind at ease, however its likely to be expensive as most treatments for koi care cost an arm and a leg! I rarely use keepnets nowadays but a landing net is a must so this is a good thread to get an answer on this tricky subject. Have used net dips at a commercial and to be honest the containers had more crap in them than a sewage farm. Again as pointed out already you need to soak for 20 mins min and no one was doing that as the general concensus seemed to be dip, wet, remove.

nick arnold

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your help, i think what i'll do is just was everything out and let it all hang out to dry, that seems to be best way forward , thanks to all again

W

Wolfman Woody

That's all our EA officers do with their nets, unless they know there's a definite infection in the water. Then they make up a fresh strong solution of iodine based dip and soak them for 12 hourse, then dry them out.

Fresh solutions and 20 minutes minimum. Anything else is a waste of money and effort. Drying them is by far the best option, Nick.

Yacko

Reaction score
I can't see why anyone would not dryout all their gear after fishing anyway. Surely a net -like a tent- would deteriorate very quickly if stored damp?
Yacko.

Krazey

Reaction score
Anyone ever have an allergic reaction to net-dips? My brother just got home froma fishing trip and has what appears to be chemical burns on his hands...

Eddy Hoodless 2

Reaction score
Many moons ago myself and some friends started a fishing club and with the aid of TWA as told that salt water was used for washing lilly pads from other waters to kill of any unwanted bugs and germs etc . So Im going with this...strong salty water