betaine

William Foxall

Reaction score
got some powdwered betaine, read the intructions, but is it worth using, and in what situation.

C

Cakey

Ive had results by using a dip then rolling in betaine just before casting out

R

Rodney Wrestt

I add it to the water before soaking pellets, just for the extra sweet cloud as they break down, less messy than molassas.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
I just can't get the idea of the measure with it as it has very little scent (to me anyway) do you think it's overkill? how much would you use, I use about 2 rounded 5ml spoons in 500ml of water for pellets and as above on corn. I picked up a kilo a while back and just use it as described (It's the 97% betafin type).

Concentrated flavours I can grasp the 1ml or essential oils 1-2 drops as they give a potent smell which indicates the strength unlike the betain. I suppose it's like adding sugar to coffee by the shovelfull but can it repel fish like concentraits, I realise it's a natual product so I thought it couldn't be overloaded but I don't want to waste it either.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey ????????????????????

Anybody???????????????????????

S

sash

I always understood betaine to be a naturally occuring product that is quite difficult to 'overload' in a bait?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ah, thought you used it Cakey, sorry.

Sash,
that's correct, however I don't want to be using too much so it lasts longer (not miserable just thrifty :eek:)) not because I worry about overloading the bait. I also read that heat strips it of attraction and so it shouldn't be added to a bait which is going to be boiled, it can however be used to coat the bait and the drying out stage or in a paste.

F

Frothey

within reason you cant overload it, but the buffs reckon anything over 4g/kg is a waste.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers Frothey, think I'll try cutting back a little then, just see how it goes.