Budget Rod, has to be new below £40

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Hi

Looking for some advice for a budget rod for my brother, I think I hve found one in the budget but it is always asking if anyone has the following rods.

Prologic XLNT 12' I can get this for £32 (not seen it physicaly)
Prologic Classic Carp 12' can get this for £38 ( seen this and seems just the job )
Daiwa Black Widow 12' can get this for around £26 (not seen it physicaly)

I apreciate I can "better" 2nd hand rods off ebay, however it is going to be a present off his other half so will need to be brand spanking new.

Any advice from anyone who has owned or owns these rods would be great.

Cheers in advance

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Do you want recomendation for budget rod (Carp I guess),

Or advice on the ones you've listed?

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Open to any recommendations sub the £40 Mark.

I looked at the prologic as the classic got a good write up in the angler’s mail and I have seen it in flesh, so seeing a few offers on what appears to be the defunct XLNT range I thought I would include that too.

To be honest it has been a long time since I went carp fishing ....Northwestern rods and optonics and a new fangled invention that I bought called a bivvy, I got laughed out of the local tackle shop when I ordered and bought it with heckles like " That will never catch on mate, what a gimmick"........I have gone off the point yes please any suggestions

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
If it has to be 'rapped up, shiney new' and within in buget then any of your suggestions are fine.

Anymore detailed advice, depends on his fishing needs..?

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
He goes fishing probably no more than a dozen times a year, if he goes to a water its not a puddle but say around 7-8 acres max, so he does not need anything that will break the bank or cast 100's of yds.

Another offer I have seen is for a Shimano ST 6000 RA for £40 is this a good buy anyone?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Last edited:

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Yes the black widow was reccomended, sorry your mates blanked on the rod........it must be something wrong with rod

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
No he's just rubbish.

If you can get that for £26 ..... Go for it!

You would get much better with £40 on the second market though. ;)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I saw some of the Pro Logic rods on Monday at the trade show and they looked very impressive indeed. I was more interested in the short casting rods for lures but many of the others looked good also. I had no idea what their cost was either. It is a company trying to provide quality at a resonable cost.

And Daiwa's are usually very good to.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I saw some of the Pro Logic rods on Monday at the trade show and they looked very impressive indeed. I was more interested in the short casting rods for lures but many of the others looked good also. I had no idea what their cost was either. It is a company trying to provide quality at a resonable cost.

And Daiwa's are usually very good to.

Jeff I must agree with you on the prologic rods, the classic carp i looked at was well finished for a rod at this price, the fact that it has an original fuji reel seat oposed to a fuji "style" seat, it was incredibly slim.

I spoke with him today and he mentioned he did not like daiwa after I gave him a team daiwa twin tip, he thought it was rubbish............it's last time he get's anything off me for nowt.

Beaker

Reaction score
Yes the black widow was reccomended, sorry your mates blanked on the rod........it must be something wrong with rod

I use 2.75lb Black Widows and they are excellent, I fish different size waters and have caught some good fish to about 18lb as well as bearm to 11lb on them with no probs, well worth the money.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I use 2.75lb Black Widows and they are excellent, I fish different size waters and have caught some good fish to about 18lb as well as bearm to 11lb on them with no probs, well worth the money.

Beaker you must have picked up the better black widow rod than Marks mate!, went down the local place, tried my best the could do either for (prologic v Daiwa ) £55.99 best price! no brainer went for prologic classic £38 on the internet.

The Daiwa was through some pay now recieve a few weeks later job I didn't bother.

I will let you all know what the rod was like, via my Brother..........if he blanks it will be rubbish no doubt.

Last edited:

crazyfish

Reaction score
hi, i have just got back into carping after getting shot of the missus and have just bought a pair of shakespear cypry qt 2.5tc nice action cast well even at distance and didn"t break the bank at £26 notes apeice,teamed them with a pair of mitchell fr50 at the same price. hope this helps.:):) tight lines:):)