CARP FORUM TRIAL

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There's nobody more fed up than me of seeing decent threads on the carp forum degenerating into rows between carp anglers and non carp anglers.

I don't know if that's keeping carp anglers off the carp forum, but I want to find out.

Let's try an experiment.

If you're not a carp angler and have no intentions of starting carp fishing, and have nothing constructive to contribute to a thread on the carp forum, then keep off it.

We'll leave the debate about whether this request is good, bad or indifferent to another time. Or start another thread on another section of the forum.

In the meantime we'll see if the popularity of the carp forum gets better or worse.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Perhaps a word of explanation will be appreciated by those who haven't seen the 'aggravation' on other threads.

Some of our most enthusiastic carp angling members reckon that some of them are drifting away from FM because they've had enough of some threads on the carp angling forum being 'sabotaged' by non carp anglers and the threads ruined for any further serious debate.

They're not against banter and p**s taking, but would prefer it to be handed out by their peers rather than someone who obviously has no interest in carp fishing.

I've been told several times now that the carp forum would be more popular if this didn't happen.

Hence the message above.

So rather than relying any more on common sense prevailing I've decided to try it another way.

See message above.

It's regrettable if this action seems a bit harsh, but it's the only way to find out if what I'm being told is right.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think its a good idea have missed contributions from some of the regular Carp anglers that have been quite for a while now.
I hope they come back as there input as always been welcomed by the majority of FM members.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
On this basis ad or what its worth, I?ll be posting and contributing articles from here on in.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
good start me finks, i'll try again.....

On this basis and for what its worth, I?ll be posting and contributing articles from here on in.

B

Bully

Bo...cks. There are just a load of beer swilling, fat lardy, loud, bollie bashing w...rs.

........which is why I cannot wait to my fishing trip to France in Sept with them!!

F

Frothey

"Well theres no getting away from it now, its up to the carp anglers."

its up to people to come forward, not just "carp" anglers, and ask questions that rik/stu(if they are still coming back!)/cakey/etc can answer rather than hoping they're going to start a thread/do a feature on what they want to read.
when some of this blew up a while ago, people said they wanted more of the "basic" articles, we said to ask and we'd come up with sopmething (the dip thing and Malc's french articles (i think) were off the back of that). so far, i think only one thing has been asked for.....

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
your'e right there Bully, not long until we hit the ferry mate, and present you with your very own gimp suit in order to service us all in that very special way.

Wat-o Froth's, all well?

L

Les Clark

I am willing to debate on any point regarding carp fishing to which I may have a point of veiw on with anybody ,but I don`t wish to see what has happened in the past ,i.e. somebody has put up a veiw and has been ripped apart for it ,good debate yes , vicous putdowns ,just for points ,no .

M

Moody Malc

"On this basis and for what its worth, I?ll be posting and contributing articles from here on in."

Nice one Stu!

Ok then, I'll send my last Carping in france Guide thingy in too! Almost done so should'nt take too long.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does this mean that the carp anglers who started the banter on the other thread,and then started to complain when others joined in, should keep off the fishing in General sections?

Sorry Graham, but they are the victims of their own doing.

B

Bully

I think the point is being missed by some.

Banter is fine, contributions from anglers who follow different preferences, fine. But slamming advice or views just because someone is a carp angler......not fine.

What you must also consider is that sometimes it is far more difficult to make comments that are generally viewed as banter in writing, as opposed to having verbal banter on the bank, especially if you do not know the people involved, or are not known yourself...........so make it obvious, especially when you expect people like the intellectually challenged WOL to be reading it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Baz, it's always the same, the minority spoil it for the majority?

Would it be fair to say there are two types of carp anglers? The serious and the not so! And the same of "posters!"

The "serious" put in a lot of hard work to achieve their goals, the "not so" arrive with radios and alchohol and are generally loud. My observations are from personal experience, I have total respect for the "serious" anglers but nothing for the "not so" anglers!

I enjoy carp fishing, I don't night fish because we have a lot of restrictions around here!

I consider myself to be an allrounder and love picking up tips to improve my catches. I have noticed there don't seem to be very many carp anglers giving advice in forums, lets hope this changes, because it is very welcome!

Steve

E

EC

Perhaps a formal Code of Conduct is needed Graham, to which all members must adhere!

I don't think it is realistic to have Bait Box (and other) threads which ARE personally insulting to the individual(jocular or not), then expect those same people to play nice in other areas of the site!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Stuart it was not you. You are one of the better carp anglers, whom I have admiration for. Excellent advice, good for a laugh, rip the crap out of anyone who will accept the challenge, but you don't get personal with people.

M

Moody Malc

SO, I'LL JUST CLEAR OFF THEN BAZ, SHALL I? EH? ASK GRAHAM TO WIPE ME OFF THE MEMBERSHIP LIST THEN EH, BAZ? HAPPY?