New Horizons

T

Terry Comerford

Has anyone used their bait boats for a spot of long distance, floater fishing?

Is this a viable method?

Would carp feed more confidently on the surface at long distance?

M

Moody Malc

Yes, Ive tried it Terry, but beware: It depends on the type of door opening you have on your boat!

If your hopper doors sit below the waterline, you may end up with most of the floaters coming back with the boat! LOL

Also be aware of the possibility of the line getting caught up in the door mechanism!

T

Terry Comerford

Could I put the controller float, rig and freebies in a PVA bag, in the boat?

M

Moody Malc

I don't see why not mate.

I thought I was being clever you see, and thought I would do without the controller float - DOH!

Perhaps others have better experiences of it than I?

T

Terry Comerford

I agree with what you said Malc, about the hopper doors, I then thought the bag would drop cleanly, melt, then leave my hookbait, amongst the freebies, in the correct spot, after the boat turns away.

I thought the float would be needed for visual reasons only, at long distance.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What if you get a take before you get the boat back in?

You drop the lot and miss it! DOH!

T

Terry Comerford

You might DB, but I would be kneeling with the rod beside me, and the remote on the ground as I send the boat out.
I think the bag melting would also give a little time, before a take could take place.
If I still got a take, I would hand the remote to a friend to bring the boat in.

How would you deal with large carp feeding on the surface, at distance?

T

Terry Comerford

200 mtrs under overhanging trees, on a No Fishing bank!
A pike drifter type float Rik?

L

Les Clark

200 yds under overhanging tree`s is a hell of a distance for a on the top bait ,this may sound daft but maybe a small balloon as a float to get it out quick ,tied to a mini swivel with a pound b.s. may do the trick with any wind behind you .

L

Les Clark

Terry ,At 200yds you would have to be useing a floating braid with mono tail , even then to hit a take will in the lap of the gods .

T

Terry Comerford

I'm sure Les, the fish feeding/slurping in the mixers under the branches, are the biggest in the Lake. (30s)
I just need a few options to get a surface bait in there.
They're confidently feeding on freebies, when the wind takes them under the trees!
I'm open to all sugestions, a bag of balloons will be added to the box tonight!
The canopy created by the trees is about 5 mtrs deep!

B

Big Rik

that is some puzzler Terry, best of luck mate.

I'd be inclined to chuck the lot in a PVA bag, wrapping the hooklink in PVA nuggets (to avoid tangles), adding mixers and several stones for weight (to sink it all) and then carting the whole lot out in the boat to as close as I could, and then letting it drift in the remainder.

Just pray for a following wind, because a cross wind would knacker you up completely.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sorry Terry, I wasn't taking the "P"

That is a hell of a distance! Can or do you see the take? I love fishing D.B's but couldn't see a take at that distance.

F

Frothey

cant you drag a zig out...at least you'd have more chance of hooking them.

T

Terry Comerford

Sorry guys, just done a recce.
No sign tonight, but the wind was in the opposite direction, I will take at least one of all the ideas you have put forward, and give them a try.

I'd just like to get a fish of any size from this awkward spot, has anyone ever come across this type of problem before?

DB, I haven?t managed to get a rig under there yet, so I'm not sure how I'll see a take!
I might put the rod to the side in a rest and hope the tip goes round! LOL!

I'll let you know, the venue is local and the bailiff is going to tip me off, the next afternoon a wind is blowing into the tree line.
I have everything ready, just waiting for the call.

Frothey, how do you tie a Zig rig! :)