Pre-Baiting!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Ok you?re on a venue that?s been hammered with all sorts of boilies, you name it and the venue?s seen it, from the latest spicey prawn and egg to fishmeal and chips. Do you consider getting down to venue whilst you are not fishing and pre-bait with your latest and greatest bait or do you not?

F

Frothey

i reckon pre baiting to get the fish used to the specific bait isnt that important these days, they pick up loads of different baits anyway....but getting them used to feeding confidently on a spot is.

B

Big Rik

agreed.

They pick up and eat/inspect most baits on the market, why will yours be any different?
Getting them confident in the spot and with the amount of bait you're putting on it will produce results

Having said that, knowing a decent bait or having confidence in your chosedn one is vitally important.

J

jason fisher

if it's a home formulated base mix then i'd prebait it, starting off spraying it about all over the place, then tightening up to a concentrated area over a few weeks.
firstly to introduce them to it then get them used to finding it in one place.

if it's a commercial bait then i don't bother.

B

Big Rik

thanks jason, it's good to be back.

You're describing the classic baiting pyramid or triangle.

Bait the lake and then concentrate it down to certain preferable spots.

It's a good tactic.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Welcome back lads. Do you agree with creating your own spot by placing a good bed of particles down and allowing the carp to create there own clear feeding spot. Or is it better to find spots they are already visiting and baiting here to get them more confident.

B

Big Rik

that tactic has worked for me previously, but only on waters without loads of features.

I've spotted where the carp have patroled and have baited on their 'flight path' and they have cleared the spots themselves.

On waters with loads of features, then baiting a known feeding spot seems to work better.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks Rik. New lake i am going to try this year i will have to see if they move around a lot or stay near to any features when feeding.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
LOVELY TO BE BACK - SMILES ARE BEAMING FROM ME!!!!

Bryan I'd say depends how much time you have and with a seemingley heavy workload in front of most of us then find the patches and bait them up. Thats what I love, spending a few hours down the lake with just a marker rod. The places of clear you can find in which you wouldn't normally have fished if given the choice is amazing.

No matter how much bait we put in re boilies and particles, it sometimes not nearly as much as the naturals. If you can find a patch where naturals are in abundance and then stick a bait into that larder and you could be away.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Glad you're back boys !!

This is a problem at my lake at the moment and I'm too far away to really try heavy pre-baiting with something original that no one else is using.

The fish seem to be coming out on alot of different baits, last year I did very well with big bags of pellets and just a few hook bait samples but have struggled this season.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Bill, crazy as it sounds but you thoughts about walloping out the method? it certainly seems to have dropped a tad in popularity over the past couple of years from the mainstream. Again, something diferent and this time of year they r gonna compete like crazy for it.

A nice change from single baits over a bag of pellet and if they aint been hit with it for a season or two then let em have it mate!

Nice to be back Bill.

I

Ian Cloke

If you do prebait, would you just bait with the hookbait choise or would you add pellets and particles etc...
It may sound a daft question but I am just getting into a bit of carping.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Ian, what me and Rik tend to do is have a selection of baits to hand. So for instance in my chest freezer I've probaly got about 80k of frozen bait. This consists of Clubmix Squid and octupus, mainline maple8, activ8, fusion, NRG and few other bits in varying size. I'll take about 3 kilo out in total of equal amounts, air dry them in pellet and when prebaiting, pre bait with the varied mix. This allows me to fish any of my chosen hookbaits over my pre-baited areas and more inportantly confuses the hell out of Mr Carp.

Hope this helps?

F

Frothey

why not use pellet in the bag of pellet?

anyone think the whole pellet thing has been done to death though....great method, but everyone does it. no-one seems to bait really heavily just with boilies though anymore (maybe cost)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
still using a lot of pellet in EVERYTHING I do Frothey, leaves a good oily smell and melts down quickly once disturbed.

B

Big Rik

"no-one seems to bait really heavily just with boilies though anymore (maybe cost)"

ehhh???

I do, and it works.
Last Wednesday night I caught over a couple of kilos of mixed boilies.

If I'm doing more than an overnighter, then 5 to 10 klos, depending on the lake, will be put in.

F

Frothey

why not just glug the freebies stu....even less food in the swim then.

i do as well rik, missed the ;) off the end. mainly to avoid getting breamed out.
maybe i should have said "very few"......