How do you make a zig rig?

njb51

Reaction score
I've heard many good things about these rigs but i dont know how to use one. Or make one!!

Any advice?

Cheers!

Jonny

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Jonny,

the most simplest ways of making a zig rig is take a length of flouro carbon depending on what depth you wish to fish say six foot for a good example. Tie a loop in normal fashion and stick a bait on with a boilie stop. Put the other end thru the eye of your hook and tie a standard knotless knot but keep the distance between the bait and the hook to the aboslute minimum. attach to your lead and cast out. Vary the depths to suit your venue and make sure the bait you put on is a pop-up bait.

Take care casting and practice away. It's used to hit carp in mid range water.

hope this helps?

M

Moody Malc

Hello Johnny.

It is basically utilising a long hooklength, so that the bait (eg: pop-up) can be presented to carp (or any species) that are situated for example 1ft under the surface.

ideal in situations where you can see the carp under the surface but are not taking floaters. or where you believe the carp are situated in the thermocline for instance. A bait popped up the that level can often be productive when bottom baits or floating baits are getting you a take!

Hope this helps?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
sorry Malc, every second counts mate!!

Fancy catting with me, rik and wol in March?

O

Ozz

Dont use rig tubing either, as this tends to enhance tangles on the cast.

njb51

Reaction score
Wow! Quick replies! Cheers Guys! Helpful as always!

So basically its a hooklength with a pop-up at the end that is allowed to float up to which ever depth i choose to fish at as long as the hooklength is made long enough?

Cheers!

njb51

Reaction score
Excellent. The name made it sound more complicated than it actually was. Well to me anyway! :)

Why is it called a zig rig?

M

Moody Malc

Beat me ya bugger LOL - on the Ebro Stu? Love to but would work out toooooooo dear for little old me!

I'll be up for a few trips to France though through the year!

Bang on Johnny - you got it!

M

Moody Malc

Whilst on the subject of Zigs, what are your opinions of the use of sliding zig-rigs, using a subsurface float or such like and releasing the line until the desired depth is achieved

O

Ozz

Malc...
Providing you have about 3ft of line from the sub float they seem to work well, i've found using shorter lengths less pick ups...and feel that the fish are spooking off the subfloat...maybe just coincidence tho..

O

Ozz

Jonny,
Basically you use a runrig and attach a subfloat to the mainline, at the other end of the sub float you tie on your hooklength.
Once cast out pay off the line exactly the same as using a marker float until the float hits the surface. You can now either surface fish, or by winding back down say 5 foot of line, and you would be fishing 2 feet below the surface.
By using this method you can fish at all depths from the length of your hooklength off the bottom right the way to the surface.

Hope you can follow that lot!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I have just used the sliding zig seemed to work well although no fish fell to it.

I was having trouble getting a normal zig to pull through the lead even though i was using a large run ring.

Only thing i found was that it seemed to tangle a lot but its not a problem because you can drift it to the surface and check all is ok.

Think i might have had the controller too close to the hook.

T

Terry Comerford

Ah ha, so a zig rigged bait, with a sub float, could be deposited from a bait boat into an awkward spot, then allowed to drift up to the surface!
Sorry, just thinking/typing out loud.