Luncheon Meat boilies

• Thread starter Dave -------------------
  • Start date

ByNasty

Reaction score
How do Wol, just been reading about your exploits with Phil Smith in his magic moments book.

B

Big Rik

this is the thread where we discussed it, it's got my tank test times on there and a link to the underwater video.
There's 2 links, one is 18mb, the other is 1.8

here

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Hi Bynasty, just loading car up now and meeting him on Ouse.

Sorry, on with thread......

ByNasty

Reaction score
Tight lines mate I'll be there at turvey tonight trying to break the barbel duck.

Awesome video Rik, I've never seen a bag break down like that before, didn't realise how much it "exploded" out. It would be interesting to see on done with a dynamite stick with dry groundbait as I've read all the theory but never seen it actually work close up.

It's amazing what some people will play with in the bath....ahem....anyway...

ByNasty

Reaction score
If you can Rik that would be awesome. The pit I fish at the moment can be quite weedy to I'm warming to the idea of small sticks to combat that. Do you all fish sticks in a single bait style or do you fish over a bed of bait?

B

Big Rik

for me, it depends on the situation (doesn't it always??)

sticks with hookbaits for browsers,
or sticks over beds of bait to enhance the hookbait area.

ByNasty

Reaction score
So pretty much single's if you've located some fish eg// rolling, cruising in the margins etc, and a bed if you've found a spot such as a bar or clear patch where you want to draw the fish to?

B

Big Rik

back to the original with luncheon meat boilies, many, many years ago, I made up some baits on a water with a boilie ban that the fished loved luncheon meat on.

I liquidised some meat, added some cruched hemp and then mixed in some prepared gelatine.
I poured this into ice cube trays and left it to set in the fridge.

It goes very rubbery (coz of the gelatine) and withstands small fish interest quite well.
Obviously during the mixing, you can play with added smells and colours.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Sorry, got a bit distracted by the P.V.A. discussion. Interesting idea with the meat and gelatine. Was fishing last night with small cubes of meat but I'm always paranoid about it being plucked of the hair by gudgeon and find it hard to be confident in. Same at the pit we fish, we know the tench and carp still go mad for meat but can't get confidence to leave it out over night. Maybe jellied meat could be the answer. How does this effect the flavour leak off cos meat can be quite oily so I'm guessing the leak off is considerably less when jellificateified (technical term)?

B

Big Rik

my thinking at the time, was that gelatine and luncheon meat weren't that different in design, so I thought that one would just compliment the other.

When I say they are similar, I mean they are both extracted, crap meat products.
Gelatine is just marrow and bits, but dried.

It worked well anyway, being a meaty smell, the gelatine didn't seem to 'lock' any of the flavour in.

Red dye worked a treat too.

S

sash

How about trying Pepparami or the Kryston Doppelganger Luncheon meat if you're having problems with nuisance fish?

Frying the meat or leaving it out in the sun (not too long!!) will give it a tougher, rubbery skin too.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Only fished pepperami a couple of times. Struggled to stop myself eating it all! Suppose I could use pepperami as hookbait and a bit of loose feed but mainly feed spam or the likes. Heard a lot about freezing meat but I found it ends up so soft it can be almost useless.
Does frying in something like chilli oil help?

S

sash

Freezing, defrosting repeatedly does soften meat. Yes, why not (re Chilli oil) or perhaps a bit of turmeric or garam masala or .....list is endless. Or how about fishing a boilie made up of chopped bits of meat in some stocking mesh?

F

Frothey

put the meat in bait mesh/stockings if you want to leave it out all night

D

Dave -------------------

Chaps...just a quick follow up post

Ordered some pva mesh and bags from Mo's on wednesday afternoon, the whole lot arrived on Friday morning perfect timing as i was going out Friday night.
( really good service and a few freebies for first order customers nice work Mo's co)
Managed to get some Meaty Marine, although they were quite hard to locate, and used those in combination with a stick, although i didnt have an groudbait doh, so it just contained a mix of pellets and crushed up boilies...didn't get my sticks to look quite as cylindrical and neat as in Stuarts article but i doubt the fish care about that.

Had a resonable night two if use fishing had 15-16 nothing huge and on this occasion the Meaty Marine just edged it over a shelfish boilie we are trying as well.

One question about sticks...how far in advance can you make them..i assume as long as the mix is really dry they won't begin to break down...are they affected by moisture in the air i wonder say if you kept them in a bucket in the garage...anyway thanks again of to do some painting to bank some fishing tokens with domestic admin for next weekend.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
anyway thanks again of to do some painting to bank some fishing tokens with domestic admin for next weekend.

Love it!

F

Frothey

if the mix is at all oily, i wouldnt make them up too far in advance as it can stop/slow the pva melting.....though that might be an advantage.....