Bag Mixes

B

Big Rik

on another thread, Frothey queried whether pellets in a PVA bag was losing it's allure.

Have you had any success with anything different in your bag mix ?

O

Ozz

This season all I have fished has been bags, containing crushed hemp 3mm bloodworm pellets and 3mm halibuts, with a dousing of sensas hemp oil...and pepperami, cut down bloodworm boilie, and halibut pellet on the hair. Have consistently caught on all three. Depending on which bait I used I've also added a bit of the hookbaits to the bag, but the bags have been no bigger than a golf ball size.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's one I've never heard of before, sent to me via email last week from a lady angler.

She cooks hemp and then lets the juice drain off by putting it in a bag made from a pair of tights. Then she puts the hemp in an old pillow case and dries it thoroughly in a tumbler drier. She then fishes with it using PVA bags.

F

Frothey

i'm using dry powder mixes more....on short sessions why wait for the pellet to break down? mix of different base mixes left over from rolling, meaty marine, tuna, solar growler and crushed hemp. damped with either hemp/liver/bloodworm/salmon/tuna oil or a mix of them.
sometimes just the oils in the bag - the bloodworm does leave a lurvely cloud around the bait.
the one thing i rarely do is use whole baits....

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Pellets and bits and bobs for me everytime - well until I've gone through the 80k stack I got when I bought in bulk last year.

Buying pellet in builk has got to be the way forward for us carp anglers. ?17-20 for a 25 kilo bag! are we mad buying this from a tackle dealer or what?

M

Moody Malc

Send us a linky thingy then mate - or email us ya supplier, please, pretty please?

F

Frothey

either the same farm suplies you get your particles from, or ask nicely at the nearest fish farm.

S

sash

I've been experimenting a lot with dark groundbaits Rik due to the waters I've been fishing being fairly shallow and infested with tufties and swans.

The Dynamite Amino black has been a good base mixed with boilie crumb, crushed hemp, matching dip, a touch of CSL/Hemp oil/Betaine/Minamino mix and a few mixed pellets plus mini boilies (as dark as possible). This fished in a PVA bag with one or two 10mm baits on the hair has been excellent this year.

I think it depends on wghat the water has seen before. If it has been regularly targetted with PVA stocking bags full of pellet and bigger baits (16mm-18mm) then I've noticed that dropping bait size and doing something a bit more fiddley (ie the PVA bag mix) has worked wonders.

Milo

Reaction score
Dave, what do we ask for them by at the farm supply shop? I've got a place not far from me that's quoted me 25Kg of sheep feed pellet for a fiver, and 5l of molasses for ?3.90.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sheep feed pellets are what are sold as CSL pellets. I get mine for ?4.00 for 25kg.

Milo

Reaction score
A whole quid cheaper! I thought the chaps were on about 'regular' fishy pellets not the CSL ones? I'm asking as I've nearly finished off the last ones I got from Hinders when I was down in Wilts for a couple of weeks...

F

Frothey

i normally ask for trout pellets!

the farm supplies near us keep trouties in low and high oil as well as salmon crumb.

Milo

Reaction score
Cheers Dave! I'll have to pop down there and see if they have a 'menu' to take away! I keep meaning to go, but I've not made it yet.

I did think 'trout pellets' but thought that was too obvious and I'd be charged a bit more too!

Milo

Reaction score
I mentioned in the "Getting Riggy" thread that I'd be playing with the tench at a reservoir. As well as playing with pop-ups, I used PVA bags containing a mixture of swimstim groundbait, chick peas, maize, hemp, broken tiger nuts, and pellets, with a nice glug of CSL. I didn't catch a single carp, but I had plenty of tench which kept me happy for the few days I fished it!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I get mine from Hawkhurst Fisheries in Hawkhurst, Kent. Can't think of a link so do a search online.

You've got approach bulk buying with a certain mentality. Spend ?75-100 but will last you 3 seasons quite easily. It gives you many options to scold, or hook or loose feed etc. Buy in different sizes too, makes all the difference.

Also, can you store it away properly?

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Graham, doesn't dry hemp float ??

Normally if hemp drys out on the bank it won't sink if you put it in the lake.

Surely you have to add something to it ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
She's only drying the surface to stop it dissolving the PVA.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Malc, I know you live in northants as do I so if you are passing J15 of the M1 whip up the A45 a couple of junctions to Hardingstone. There's a pet suppliers there that do 25kg sacks of trouties for about ?25. Might not be as cheap as some of these guys can get them but it still beats ?3.50 a kg in a tackle shop. They also do crushed hemp, normal hemp, partiblend and the likes.

M

Moody Malc

Many thanks ByNasty. I know Hardingstone I used to drink in a couple of pubs there - The Sun Inn (where I got slapped by a stripper once - true!) and the one further up the road the Crown?

Anyway, enough of that. I usually but from CC Moores @ ?22 for 25 Kilos, but theres postage on top of that of course, so i may well have a lok mate, thanks!