Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi there. With the hot weather now here I intend to fish with surface baits during the next few weeks but there's one small question that I can't get out of my mind.

Do you use a sinking line or floating line between the controller and the hook bait? All opinions welcome.

Les Clark Guest

Alf , you are fishing on the top with a floating bait ,use a floating line right through from reel to bait .

Big Rik Guest

apart from the last 6" next to the hook, which you'd ideally like to sink, so the fish don't see it......

Ged Guest

Used floating baits last year for the first time. bought floating braid which I put on hook length and then bait, works quite well. Also tried bait controlers, with mono, got it all to work but no fish caught. some had a look, but that was all.

Les Clark Guest

Ged ,did you put any baits out first before trying the hookbait ?

Ged Guest

Yes. Used floating pellets. was first tryong to see if the pellets would sink, but as the fish came up for them, I decided to use them as hook bait and fish the surface.

Les Clark Guest

Ged ,how where you useing the pellets as hookbaits ,on the hook ? useing a band or on a hair ?

Ged Guest

On the hook, fortunately, they were soft enough.
    If you have trouble keeping the hook lenght afloat, get some silicon muselin that fly fishermen use, will help keep the line floating. Don't take it too near the hook though, as this makes the line appear that bit thicker.

paul williams 2 Guest

Alf.....Rik can catch fish off the top....

Les Clark Guest

I like to use the John Roberts bait bands ,comes in two sizes , it has a small flatish bit that you pierce with your hook and slide down the shank , I push it to just below the bend .
    But for bigger floating baits you can use very small ruber bands .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast