Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frothey Guest

it was once said that the only bit of tackle that really mattered was the last yard, as its the only bit near the feeding fish. so when you choose your rig are you going for one that has natural movement so it is more likely to be picked up, or one that has better hooking potential - but is less likely(?) to be picked up?
    can you get a rig to do both?

i used to prefer longer, more flexible hooklengths but find myself using shorter, stiffer ones. now get mega hookholds, but less fish?

Ozz Guest

Interesting one this frothey....how on earth could the 'T.H.'stiff rig be natural?
    and how many fish have been caught on it?
    I personally tend to go with rigs that have been proven on my given water...but have sometimes 'Dared to Be Different'

you can get both in one hit Frothers which will give mega hookholds and more fish. Move back away from stiffer products and concentrate wholly on your hook set-up. not taking the pi55 but if you wanna take this offline with me and rik then let me know cos we've had a likkle break through.

Frothey Guest

okely dokely

i feel a reverse combi coming on.....????

Big Rik Guest

hah, if only it was that simple Frothey.

You know full well when me and Stu start getting "riggy with it" (as the ginger winger calls it) then it will go thru 7 stages of metamorphosis and be well and truly tested to perfection.

Strange how you get such good hookholds with stiff rigs yet theoreticaly they should be easily ejected.
    Maybe they either get away with it or get nailed proper like.
    could explain your lesser catch rate on them?

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt Guest

ginger winger?

"then it will go thru 7 stages of metamorphosis and be well and truly tested to perfection."

To no avail.

I think 7 is under estimating it mate.

funny how you started catching in lemans after some real mastery rig lessons off me and rik mr ginger winger!

you're welcome lovey

Frothey Guest

"Strange how you get such good hookholds with stiff rigs yet theoreticaly they should be easily ejected"

why?

if you use a stiff material (not 10lb mono!) the fish has to back away with its gob open, hoping the hook wont catch - cos the hooklink wont "fold" like a stiff material. thats the problem though, the fish has to get it in in the first place....

But how many potential hookholds would you have missed. It's fine saying when they do hook themselves they hook well, but your own earlier point Dave is that you are getting less fish. What if you changed to braid and your catch rate improved?

I've got to go with Benny a little bit here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast