The very best

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It was Dellareed. My dear Friend Eric Hodson gave me a pair in the early 80s. At a later stage he sent me the little devices which held the rod in place. It was The Monk who told me that they are called "Carp Ears".

"Popeyes" were a form of early swinger which you clipped just below your Optonics. They looked a bit like an old clay pipe. Remember Popeye the Sailorman?

They looked like the pipe that was always in Popeye's mouth.

F

Frothey

brian mills made the prototype

frank sams and john lynch ran the production under the dellareed name

del romang then made them work properly!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Del made them work properly along with the forgotten Kim.

Del Kim

B

Big Rik

and then didn't they almost get shut down for selling something that wasn't theirs?

The Delkim conversions.

W

Due to legal problems (probabley with Dellareed) the conversions of the Optonics Del and Kim did ceased in 1986 and thats when Kim left.

They were great alarms the conversions.

The magnetic reed switch was such a suberb bit of thinking, i rarely changed my batteries.

I was more of a two vane man, the fours drove you nuts.

F

Frothey

yeah, but it was a bit like a car manufacturer suing you for modifying the car to make it faster.

they still had to buy the optonic didnt they...

C

Cakey

and then there was me......I was keeping the gpo in buiness with the t4's I was buying for the cakey mods and extension boxes

W

I thought they only converted peoples existing Optonics into Delks. Did they actually market them then?

Cakey, shut up.

F

Frothey

they converted peoples buzzers, dont think they actually sold them converted, if you know what i mean.

never mind, they won thru in the end.

those where the days........i was still in nappies! (mind you, i still wear them on a wednesday at the club)

C

Cakey

There wasnt a phone box around here for miles in working order...................dunno why

W

lol..............GPO speakers missing?????

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What about the isotopes from the motorway phone boxes....They were the brightest ones of the lot
Whole stretches of motorway used to get done in a night

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You seem to know a lot about that Ed.

Got any spare ones?

K

Ken Moth

carp ears Ron, yes a bit like Moth Balls haha, I used to like the old carp ears, as you looked out from the bivvy at them by night, especially with those little isotopes in the slots, they looked like little owls sat on the buzz bar looking back at you, in fact in windy conditions you could even turn the ears inwards and thus prevent the rods being blown off the bars. I can remember someone buying me an alarm one called a Watchman, more suited to eels fishing really, one of those pull the line out of the clip and the thing just kept wining. My old mate Leight Moffatt, god rest his soul, actually had a clockwork bite alarm, you wound it up with a key, it was similar in design to an heron, probably were Heron got the idea?

K

Ken Moth

hands up all those who used to put a halfpenny on the spool with a tin underneath it!