the Syndicate

L

Little Stu!

In simple terms Barney regarding a special rig then YES. I don't want to come across all secretive and know-it-all as thats just not me, if it was I'd never write articles etc. But Ive been playing with a rig for the past couple of months that seemingley doing an excellent trick. Its been tested with great results to date and hooks further back in the bottom lip due to various modifications (up to an inch back in carp, tench and your beloved bream's mouth). It's based on both weight and turning capability. Big Rik and Frothey are involved with its development and have given very positive indications as to its mechanics. It's still in development, it is different and it is effective. I'd say you could use the rig down to a size 10 hook so would be fine for all your styles.

If Rik and Frothey have no issues (and I'm sure they won't) I am happy to open this up to you confidentially until we've finished out testing.

As I say, I don't want to come over all anal and precious, its just something we're playing with if you know what I mean?

G

Gary Knowles 2

You have my private email address.

I'd be happy and interested in testing it out - on one rod at least ;o)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Will it work with popped up sweetcorn or the like?

L

Little Stu!

its designed for pop-up's, snowman and bottom baits, its a fiddley sod to tye but yes sweetcorn will be fine. We'll be trying them out when we all go to France anyway Wol so you can have a play then.

Apart from 'peedy-laugh-a-minute-bullard', I ain't showing him coz he's just weird!

L

Little Stu!

Got pics at home Barney, I'll send em over tomorrow mate.

ByNasty

Reaction score
""Is it just me being stupid? "

YES"

Fair comment Stu. As for all the other stuff regarding the slack line theory I've found this all fascinating. Being from a technical background I love sussing out how things work and it's this kind of thread that keeps me returning to FM (although not as regularily as I'd like, damn stupid work!). I always thought I was fishing slack lines before but this takes it to a whole new level and makes me realise I'm probably fishing very inefficiently. I still don't fully grasp the theory of the drop back indication, or lack of what would be a traditional drop back, as Rik states. It sounds almost as if the line is acting as it's own pivot point in a similar way to a running lead thus giving the effect of rising bobbins, but I can't see why or how the line performs this way. If you guys say it does it's good enough for me though as I'm sure you do a let more fishing and analysis of fishing then I do. I shall be giving it a go on fiday night on at least one rod just to see the level of indication.
Cheers guys, tight lines.

L

Little Stu!

Cheers Bynasty, nice comments mate - yeah give it a go and feedback on here, we may just convert you!

D

Deecy

Or get your baits rolled by someone like Tim Jackson at Chiltern Bait Services who will roll you special hookers which don't need glugging to harden them but are none the poorer for doing so.

L

Les Clark

Reading Bynastys posting reminded me of the monkey climbers that we used to use ,stainless steel rods ,with the monkey made out of wine bottle tops ,very light so you had a lot of slack line to make them settle ,plus the baits were freelined .
Is this on the same track or have I got it wrong most of these runs were steady to start and then screamers ?

L

Little Stu!

sorry Les, just logged on, is that question for me?

Cheers Bill, will do matey.

L

Les Clark

yes little Stu ,it just seems along the same track or not ?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
All facinating stuff so far, i love the early bits about baits (boiled or otherwise), and its great to know that people are giving their hookbaits so much thought cos all theese fish being taken on plastic bits of this and that and bits of cork etc are doing my head in.

Lets have some more chat on the mechanics of a rig along the lines of, 'Will a shite hook bait still work if the rig is effeciant enough'?, and 'Will a great hookbait work if the rig is shite'?.

I tend to use a shite hookbait coupled with a shite rig theese days cos i need the sleep at night now that i've turned 50. I also eagerly eat all Wols burnt offerings cos i need all the preservatives i can get at my time in life.

F

Frothey

get some of cakeys bacon....all the steroids will make you big and strong.....

cork/rubber hookbaits? easy. they havent got hands, do if they are curious and want to "test" something, then in the mouth it goes. efficient hook set up and its a take.....

B

Big Rik

hookbaits tend to get more thought than freebies nowadays as any fish will come over and inspect a mushy pile of pellet and broken baits, getting the hookbait and rig right makes all the difference, as Frothey says, they aint got hands.