suitable rod/reel for a beginner

J

jason fisher

"at least Parky reconises me as god !"
poor deluded fool.

your best bet is to do as sash says and get one of john wilsons books, his angling encyclopedia should do you a good starting point.

as for rod and reel, either get a rod for 50 quid and save up for an okuma baitrunner reel which you can get for about 30 quid.
or get the reel and hang on for the rod, you will be better for it in the end.

M

matt thomas

lee jacksons book called i think Carp Clinic is a good book with lots of info and its cheap have a look on ebay or some of the online bookshops

M

matt thomas

leeda and wychwood are ok stuff for the money and are always heavily discounted and the stuff is of fair quality but Badger or okuma reels are excellent for the money
look for an okuma epix reel rrp?20.00 basic but as tough as old boots with a baitrunner
rod wise a shimano hyperloop in around 2.25 test curve is an ideal starting point
around 30 quid should get you one.

M

matt thomas

a point i missed is to have a trawl through the previous threads or use the search option to find answers to questions you have as i can tell you there aint much that hasnt been said on here,you might be as well off to stick with what you have got for a season or so until you get more knowledgable and use spare cash to buy quality hooks,line and baits,a decent rod and reel is only to cast out and reel in with,the bit the fish sees and is attached to is the bit that matters at this point.

good luck with your fishing
matt