suitable rod/reel for a beginner

Parky

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im a biginner to fishing really and so far me and my friend have been blagging our way. we have really cheap gear at the moment but we have had success. I caught a 8lb mirror a few days ago which made my week :)

Anyhow im hoping to get a new rod and reel that will handle ledgering. i've looked around and am a bit lost with all this talk of anti-reverse, forward drag, clutch mechanisms etc. Could you reccomend something ?

Also what are Match rod/ reels for? (dont say matches please!) how do they differ from ledger and float fishing rods?

Thanks for any help, Sy

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit difficult to answer mate, as we don't know what you are really fishing for. Please try and refine it a little more.

But -:
I think match rods and reels are for the smaller species of fish such as roach, perch bream etc. (Not Carp or Pike)
Now you are stepping up in quality I would go for the Harrison rods, they do a really light one for use on canals and the like for the smaller species.
I like Shimano reels, and again Shimano do a full range from match such as the Aero MK 111 which is especially good for ledgering., through to Bait runner reels for carping etc.
keep posting and we will get there in the end.

C

Cakey

he is on the carp forum so he is after carp I would think.
try badger for cheap carpand rod deals.

L

Les Clark

For a cheap first carp setup look in argos ,leeda rods and the reels are very cheap ,you won`t be able to pose with this gear but they will do the job untill you decide to upgrade .

S

Steaker - WTSSG(hon)

TFG as promoted by Matt Hayes, one set up all in ?49.99, can't go wrong!
I set my 2 boys up on the Badger deals, good start and they've built on them and still going strong.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are also some good deals on 'Northwest Angling' website, and they do mail order.

M

michael bracken

yeah, go to argos mate, they sell some cheap stuff, not bad for a beginner either

Parky

Reaction score
thanks for suggestions guys.

i'm trying to catch carp really, (hence the carp forum) i was only wondering what the match rods were for, i dont think they're what im after.

at the moment im fishing with a cheap redwolf rod/reel. me and a friend got fully set up for about 80 quid. i got from a local shop, so thats what im looking to upgrade from.

i found a deal in a magazine for a avanti activa 12ft feeder rod with avanti aquila reel and some other bits. that was from dragon carp direct. does that sound any good?

B

Bully

Parky - you will get used to it, its all in good humour (normally).

So you want to ledger for carp as well as float fish ? You have two options really.

Option 1 - a "feeder"/quiver rod. Here bite indication is via the rod tip being pulled around and you should be sitting with rod in hand at all times.

Option 2 - more "traditional" ledgering using a bobbin indicator. These are often accompanied by electronic buzzers, but you wouldn't really need one of these now. However basically the fish pulls out slack line pulling up a bobbin. Traditional ledger rods normally used.

So first you need to decide which method you want to adopt.

As for reels, your basic decision is really whether to have a free spool (bait runner)facility or not. Free spools allow the fish to pull off line from the spool until you start winding in.

Personally I think you should go for a free spool as this will allow you to adopt both approaches irrespective of which rod you choose.

I suggest you spend a little more time considering what approach you want to adopt, and then go for the best rod / reel deal. Do you have a total budget?

Parky

Reaction score
so far i have been casting out a feeder and either watching the rod tip or trapping line around my finger at the reel to feel for bites. i dont want to use an alarm.

im going to keep my existing rod for float fishing so im looking for somthing purely for ledgering. i definately want a freespool, other wise i'll get line breaks when playing bigger fish wont i?

as for a budget im look at about 40-50quid.
ive been looking around for a 2nd hand rod without much success, but i fancy getting a new reel.

B

Bully

Parky - line breaks when playing fish has nothing to do with having a free spool. Free spool is purely the facility that lets a fish pull out line without taking your rod in at the same time !! When playing a fish you would use the "normal" drag/clutch facilities that are on both free spool and normal open face reels.

S

sash

I'd suggest (without any sarcasm) that you get hold of a good book that explains the basics of coarse fishing, wether that be float, leger, reels, rods etc. Move on from there.

Something by John Wilson might bridge the gap nicely between 'pleasure' fishing and 'specimen hunting' which seems to be the way you're heading.