Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi there,

Im a biginner to fishing really and so far me and my friend have been blagging our way. we have really cheap gear at the moment but we have had success. I caught a 8lb mirror a few days ago which made my week

Anyhow im hoping to get a new rod and reel that will handle ledgering. i've looked around and am a bit lost with all this talk of anti-reverse, forward drag, clutch mechanisms etc. Could you reccomend something ?

Also what are Match rod/ reels for? (dont say matches please!) how do they differ from ledger and float fishing rods?

Thanks for any help, Sy

A bit difficult to answer mate, as we don't know what you are really fishing for. Please try and refine it a little more.

But -:
    I think match rods and reels are for the smaller species of fish such as roach, perch bream etc. (Not Carp or Pike)
    Now you are stepping up in quality I would go for the Harrison rods, they do a really light one for use on canals and the like for the smaller species.
    I like Shimano reels, and again Shimano do a full range from match such as the Aero MK 111 which is especially good for ledgering., through to Bait runner reels for carping etc.
    keep posting and we will get there in the end.

Cakey Guest

he is on the carp forum so he is after carp I would think.
    try badger for cheap carpand rod deals.

He did ask about match rods and reels.

Cakey Guest

only what they are for..............want a argument ?

Les Clark Guest

For a cheap first carp setup look in argos ,leeda rods and the reels are very cheap ,you won`t be able to pose with this gear but they will do the job untill you decide to upgrade .

Steaker - WTSSG(hon) Guest

TFG as promoted by Matt Hayes, one set up all in 49.99, can't go wrong!
    I set my 2 boys up on the Badger deals, good start and they've built on them and still going strong.

There are also some good deals on 'Northwest Angling' website, and they do mail order.

michael bracken Guest

yeah, go to argos mate, they sell some cheap stuff, not bad for a beginner either

thanks for suggestions guys.

i'm trying to catch carp really, (hence the carp forum) i was only wondering what the match rods were for, i dont think they're what im after.

at the moment im fishing with a cheap redwolf rod/reel. me and a friend got fully set up for about 80 quid. i got from a local shop, so thats what im looking to upgrade from.

i found a deal in a magazine for a avanti activa 12ft feeder rod with avanti aquila reel and some other bits. that was from dragon carp direct. does that sound any good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast