Choosing a main line

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
I've had a few problems recently while stalking carp at close range around snags where my 12lb main line has been snapped. I'm using a 10lb hooklink which appears to be more durable!

I thought I had a knot problem, changed knots and then bang, it happened again.

its not old line, and Im wondering if I've just chosen a duff brand. Anyone recommend a good main line? And any tips relating to these sort of breakages?

Thanks - Rob

PTnymph

Reaction score
I have always used Maxima Chameleon and never had any problems with it.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been using 12lb iron Silk, but I'm starting to loose confidence in it. Its now 4 fish in a week I've lost at close range when it has snapped (before my 10lb hooklink I might add)

fishing nesr snags I probably need a higher breaking strain and to lock up the clutch to stop the beggars getting near the reeds.

F

Frothey

do you check for little nicks in the line before you cast out? if its going near the lead then use a really long bit of tubing to protect the line, or a longish leader of something like amnesia or quiksilver

try big game....great line and cheap as chips if you keep having to strip bits off

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Thanks Dave

I dont have problems with it when ledgering; only freelining at close range. Big game, thats the berkley line isnt it? I previously used 10lb berkley trilene XT which was ok, so perhaps I will get some big game and try it.

the other thing I think I will do is get a rod specifically for stalking; I think my 2.75lb test curve warrior is not reacting quickly enough to that powerful first surge. Someone recommended a greys stalker - any thoughts?

fishface

Reaction score
berkly triline 15lb is what i use when snag fish its a great! on the other hand maxima chameleon.....

fishface

Reaction score
that should have read 'snag fishing its a great line' lol i swear im dyslecic (sorry for the spelling of dys....)lol

S

sash

I found Iron Silk great at first but had the same thing happen to me, a break-off without any explanation. On testing the line it seemed as if it had suddenly changed to an 8lb BS (rather than the 14+ it should have been). It also appears, based on other comments from other forums, that this is quite a regular occurence.

2 things - 1, change your line more regularly and 2, 12lb BS really isn't strong enough for snag fishing.

I now use a combination of Shimano Technium, Krystonite and PowerPro braid for all fishing ranging from small river chubbing to big pit carp/pike.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
thanks for the comments everyone.
Sash, your right about 12lb being too low for snag fishing, especially if it is really 8lb! Interesting that others have had similar experiences.

I've just picked up a bulk spool of berkley trilene carp - 0.36mm/18.3lb BS, and ordered a greys stalker rod for tomorrow. All I need now is a matching reel - any suggestions?

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Margin fishing, stalking....How about a centerpin?

Total control!

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
I think I'm going to need something with a bit of winching power Swordsy, but I like your thinking.

My target fish arent huge (mid to upper doubles) but boy can they motor. the effect is like lowering your bait onto the surface and hitting a submerged mine! I would be better off with one of those multipliers they use for sharks.