Mainline base mixes

E

EC

Not sure, just had a white coating on it, looked like mould to me!

E

EC

Smelled like what I would consider normal (Activ8 with activator added) mate, although I didnt have any fresh out the freezer jobs to compare with!

I should add that these boilies, as well as being in and out of the freezer on numerous occasions as prev mentioned have also shared bait boxes with meat, pellets, hemp and corn so the mouldy coating could have come from one of these!

The bottom line is that this bait gives me confidence and a little bit of something 'extra' on did not detract anything from the bait on this particular day.

I have found about another 40 baits in the freezer, these have been there since I made the batch up 2 years or so ago so I'll probably be needing a new kilo of basemix before the year is out unless I bag up big time this weekend!

So to ask again, why do some of you lads use opal?

Personal thing or has it got something different?

What does it smell like and what type of bait is it?

B

Big Rik

stick with the A-8, it works for me in both boilie and paste form for all species.

Mind you, the Source worked well for me last year, especially for chub.

If the baits still smelled normal, then the white probably wasn't mould, more likely exuded starch or sugars.

W

William Spencer

out of curiosity rik,eddie.have you tried any of nutrabaits base mixes.

E

EC

Never mate!

To be honest I don't use boilies that much, except for the occasional carp trip and as a change of bait for tench, barbel and chub.

I only use boilies for hookbaits and the odd freebie, I still have plenty of hookbaits left from the kilo bag of A8 I mixed up 2/3 years ago.

I always felt, and maybe I am wrong, that Nutrabaits looked expensive but apart from that many many anglers on this forum, and others, swear by mainline!

J

jon helyer

I ve been using a 50/50 split of BFM and Enervite, with Sweet Nutraspice this year, and have had virtually nothing on it at all! Not even any 'nuisance'fish! Tried halving the flavour levels and still no takes. Next year I'm going Solar, has anyone used their mixes?

B

Big Rik

William, I used their gear a few years ago, but I'm not too keen on it, or the people involved.
I know it has a certain following up north, for obvious reasons, but I'm not really a great fan.

Solar gear is pretty good Jon and they're always pushing with new concepts and ideas, which means they're not just sat back and milking it.
The BYT wedgies look pretty good as does the up and down mix.

J

jon helyer

I've used the BYT wedges, useful in PVA bags, but as hookbaits they could do with being a bit bigger, as they are only 8-10mm ish, and tricky to hair rig without splitting. I've used Solar before several years ago when they produced a range of shelf life's called Carp Sweets, and the Squid & Octopus version turned out to be the best Shelf Life bait I ever used.

Why do you think Nutrabaits isn't as popular as some of the other firms?

F

Frothey

if nothing else....price. take bfm, a bit of green lipped, betaine, oils, liquids, flavours, and its one hell of an expensive bait

got 5kg of wedges to take with me to france, just mesh a few up together and you dont have to worry about them splitting.

P

paul williams 2

William....you are basing your thoughts on how food becomes unpalatable to humans.....i wasn't infering that if you left A8 made up and in the open air it wouldn't decompose like the apple(unless airdried)......i was asking who said the componants in the make up of A8 break down?
My point was how long can we keep it in a basemix form?

W

William Spencer

ok paul,i should imagine that the shelf life of a base mix would be reduced each time the base mix was opened.the thoughts on human food should be the same as a base mix.i don't know the actual ingredients of a8,but,the majority of ingredients in base mixes do have a limited shelf.lactalbumin which is used in the majority of protein baits does have a ridiculous low shelf life.
the limit of the shelf life of other ingredients will always be open to opinion.if you do use a8 on a regular basis paul then you will have no worry of the base becoming stale as i'm sure you'll turn the base in to a mix regularly.